Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radomly Losing Connection On Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

I've posted about this problem before, and I'm led to believe that it's actually the cable that runs up and down the road. Ok, maybe not, but that's really all that's left to blame. It also does the same thing 1/4 mile down the road at my in laws house on a different router (different brand name) and two different computers.

Out of the blue, I'll lose connection to the internet but my son won't, or he'll lose connection and I won't. Hmmm....very weird. I'll be online for a minute, or 2 minutes, or 60 minutes and it'll be fine. I'll close the internet (firefox) and immediately open it back up and it says server not found? No connection. I usually have to unplug either the router itself or the cable modem in order to get it to let me reconnect to the internet. I've tried repairing the connection, and that doesn't work.

Is there a way to force windows to renew the IP address (in DOS, isn't it similar to release IP or renew IP?)? Basically, I'm looking to find a way to reset everything without having to unplug the router or modem. As of lately, my son (whose on the wireless end of it all) has been losing connection and we've had a hard time getting it back. There's no security on my network, so that's not it. I've had this problem from day one of installing a wireless network, and the cable company says everything is fine, the router company (linksys) says everything is fine, when the network works, it works fine....but when it doesn't, it's a royal pain.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

Cable companies seem to have a habit of taking no responsibility for problems that are theirs. If you suspect the outside cabling to be the problem, you need to continue to complain to them until something gets done. If you call enough you'll eventually be assigned a technician who has half a brain.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:28 AM

If I complain any more, I'm going to get hit with a restraining order :thumbsup:

I've complained enough that they've replaced the wire that runs from the road to my house, and I actually gained about 12-15 mbs on the new cable. Of course, they said I didn't, but my computer says otherwise...

Thanks for the help Gary335!

Any one else have any suggestions?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

you could make a small batch file that uses command line syntax to start>run>cmd>ipconfig /release, Ipconfig /renew and place it on the desktop of both machines,but this limits the correcting of the issue between the pc's and the linksys.If it is a lease issue between the linksys and the cable(dsl) router, this will have little efffect.
or decrease the ip lease times on the router so that the linksys will do it. the issue is most likely between your cable router and your linksys, not between the pc and the linksys.

one more question, do you have the gateway set up static on the pcs or router or is it obtain auto?

Edited by scraphog, 20 September 2006 - 01:29 PM.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:33 PM

you could make a small batch file that uses command line syntax to start>run>cmd>ipconfig /release, Ipconfig /renew and place it on the desktop of both machines,but this limits the correcting of the issue between the pc's and the linksys.If it is a lease issue between the linksys and the cable(dsl) router, this will have little efffect.
or decrease the ip lease times on the router so that the linksys will do it. the issue is most likely between your cable router and your linksys, not between the pc and the linksys.

one more question, do you have the gateway set up static on the pcs or router or is it obtain auto?

:thumbsup: Huh? :flowers:

Networking isn't exactly my specialty. I do believe, however, that the gateway is set to auto. I don't recall changing any of that when I set it up, and I believe that the default was auto. I'm at work right now, but I'll verify it all when I get home.

About your first paragraph-->is there something I can type into the command prompt to make it do all that? Even if I have to type it in one at a time, I think I'd be better off than unplugging and plugging everything back in.

Thanks for the help scraphog! :trumpet:
Posted Image

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:19 AM

Has this been just recently? If yes... how old is your cable modem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users