Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB cable won't work

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Commodore64

Commodore64

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hello, I just bought 2 Atari-style USB joysticks, and plugged them into my new HP monitor. The joysticks didn't work. I was told to buy a type A to type B cable, so I bought a USB 3.0 cable from eBay. It's a USB A/M to B/M blue cable 1.8 M long. The A/M part is rectangular and plugs into the USB port on the back of my computer. The B/M part is square and plugs into the back of my monitor. The part that is supposed to plug into the back of my monitor didn't fit, which is the problem. My monitor's part # is HP Compaq LA1905wg. My USB cable's part # is YAMBM01803. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

C64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

Is the monitor connected to the computer's USB?  The connection on the monitor would be on the bottom or back where power and video cables are connected.

Here is the manual for your monitor.  Page 10, item 5 is where the USB cable that goes to the computer connects.  Then you can use Page 10, item 6 to connect your joy sticks.

#3 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

Is the monitor connected to the computer's USB?  The connection on the monitor would be on the bottom or back where power and video cables are connected.

Here is the manual for your monitor.  Page 10, item 5 is where the USB cable that goes to the computer connects.  Then you can use Page 10, item 6 to connect your joy sticks.

The monitor is connected to the computer with a VGA cable. I connected the USB cable to the computer as on page 10, item 5, but I couldn't connect the other end of the cable to the monitor, even though the cable and the port both look square. I connected the joy sticks to the monitor as on page 10, item 6. P.S. Thanks for the manual. I downloaded it.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

USB-B isn't square (at least not in its original form) but is instead like a square with two of its corners cut off slightly.  This is how it has only a one-way insertion into the port, akin to how the USB-A end has the plastic slide so that it fits in only one way.

I don't know that I've ever seen a USB 3.0 cable that uses USB-A to USB-B.  I'm used to USB-A to whatever the style is called that looks like an in-line arrangement like the A end but with two segments, one longer, such that it can only insert one way.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

The USB 3.0 B connector is not the same as a USB 1.1/2.0 B connector, and the 3.0 B connector will not go in the 1.1/2.0 B port.  They seem fairly rare, most USB 3.0 peripherals I have seen go with the delicate USB 3.0 Micro B connector instead.

MWTSfju.jpg

The monitor has a USB 2.0 hub on board, so it's a standard USB 2.0 A to B cable you want, not USB 3.0.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

Jonuk,

Blow up that Micro B 3.0 to standard size and it's what my external backup drive uses.  USB A (obviously 3.0, but it looks just like the older 1.1/2.0 USB A) to that style of USB B.  The funny thing it is definitely not mini or micro, and it's definitely not the A end, but it looks like a 3.0 micro-B on steroids.

I figured that USB B had to different for 3.0 in all sizes, and of course it is.  I haven't encountered the full size3.0 USB-B that looks like the one in the Type B image shown above.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

The pic below shows dimensions - the 3.0 Micro B plug is actually slightly wider overall than a standard A plug, but thinner.  If your connector on the drive is larger than that, then I'm not sure?  AFAIK there is no 3.0 Mini B - the mini sizes have been deprecated and replaced by the micro connectors.

LhjyJiK.jpg

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

The USB 3.0 B connector is not the same as a USB 1.1/2.0 B connector, and the 3.0 B connector will not go in the 1.1/2.0 B port.  They seem fairly rare, most USB 3.0 peripherals I have seen go with the delicate USB 3.0 Micro B connector instead.

MWTSfju.jpg

The monitor has a USB 2.0 hub on board, so it's a standard USB 2.0 A to B cable you want, not USB 3.0.

I admit that I'm getting confused with all the different ports and connectors, so I'll just go with your last sentence. Thank you for posting all the pictures, and anybody else who posted pictures. Thank you jonuk76 for your reply, and to anybody else who posted replies to my message. Cheers!

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Commodore64,

I suspect that the cable you need is not USB 3.0, but is the conventional USB 2.0/1.1 (which are identical, it's the protocol that changed) USB A to USB B cable.  All you need to do is to look into the port on the USB-B side (always, in my experience, the external hardware) to see if the actual port has that "square with two corners nipped" shape.

Although it clearly exists, I have yet to encounter a USB 3.0 USB B full-size port "in the wild".

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

The cable to connect the monitor to the computer should be a USB 2 A/B cable.  The USB 2 A side connects to the computer and the USB 2 B side connects to the monitor page 10, item 5 port.  After that the two ports on the side of the monitor should work for the joysticks.

#11 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

'The monitor has a USB 2.0 hub on board, so it's a standard USB 2.0 A to B cable you want, not USB 3.0.'

Thanks, jonuk76. I ordered a standard USB 2.0 A to B cable, received it, and tried to plug it in the bottom of the monitor. It fit, thank goodness! The other end went into a standard USB port on the back of my computer. After that, I had to configure Vice 3.1 a little in Settings, and got both joysticks to work.

C64

Edited by Commodore64, 16 October 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

Good to hear C64 :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

Although it clearly exists, I have yet to encounter a USB 3.0 USB B full-size port "in the wild".

Me too, but have run across the first one on my new Zoom UAC-2 audio interface:

uac-2-back.jpg

Top 5 things that never get done:

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Interesting.   I'm also thrilled to see that at least one manufacturer is continuing the eminently sensible practice of color coding USB 3.0 ports in blue plastic.  That was how it all started, then the stupidity of tiny and hard to see embossed "SS" logos with the same black port slides as USB 2.0 and earlier began showing up.

One of the smartest things that computer manufacturers (and any manufacturer where lots of plugs are involved in a contained space) was to color code what goes where and make the receptacles and plugs only able to fit together one way.

Taking away half of that arrangement is just plain stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users