Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 re-assigned/re-formatted drive - can't boot.... hel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jsmbythebay

jsmbythebay

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Windows10 on my Toshiba laptop was running a little slow....  When all of a sudden it displayed a message that it was shutting down and fixing issues (sorry, I do not remember exact language).  Then it spend an hour with "preparing automatic repair" and "diagnosing" issues before bringing up the a blue recovery screen asking for keyboard preferences,then a "troubleshoot"  option.  Sometimes I can only get a 80004001 error with a restart computer command.  Other times I can get to  Advanced options which do not have all the options (and no safe boot option).  After restarting over 10 times, I only get the following advanced options:

- System Restore (produces a "To use system restore you must specify Windows installation" error)

- System Image Recovery (produces a "can't find image file" error)

- Startup Repair (produces a "can't repair" error)

- Command prompt (launches  -  see below)

- Go back to previous version (produces a "can't go back" type error)

From cmd I can check the diskpart and List Volumes the results are attached, but it shows:

- Volume: 1 /  Letter: D /  FS: RAW  /   Size 230GB   /  Status: Healthy

- Volume: 2 /  Letter: C /  FS: RAW  /   Size 466GB   /  Status: Healthy

- Volume: 3 /  Letter: E /  FS: RAW  /   Size 1500MB   /  Status: Healthy   /  Info: Hidden

The result states that the volumes are functional, but are now RAW!  (Note that the windows installation was in the C volume when this was functioning).

Also, note that the cmd is showing that it is running from the X:windows/system32   directory.  I guess this is a dumb question, but is that the recovery volume?  And why doesn't it show up in list volume?

My research seems to indicate that I am up a creek here.  I have an original Macrium image, but I don't want to overwrite my data (I also have an issue in that I don't think I will be able to do a free Win10 upgrade now too....)

MY MAIN QUESTIONS are:

- Are there other CMD commands I should run to try to fix this install?  assuming this won't work...

- How can I best go about trying to recover data files?  I suspect this might be futile, but there are a few files which I just completed, and did not get backedup, but that I really would like to recover.  It seems most of the file recovery programs out there require a bootable machine, which this one is not.  And I don't want to use a recovery image and overwrite the data....

Help!  And thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

In short, I suspect a dying hard drive.

But, to answer your questions.......

Please note the FS (file system) results from DISKPART.  They all state "Raw" - which means the volume is not formatted in a recognizable format (such as NTFS, FAT32, etc)

Most often this is seen in corrupted or failing hard drives.

Cmd running from X:windows/system32 is normal when in Recovery mode.
This is the RAM drive that Windows starts up when it's in the Recovery Environment (Startup Repair, etc)

It's running from memory - and this means that it can do things to the hard drive that it can't when Windows is running from the C: drive (because the disk would be "in use" at that time).

IMO you should:

1)  see if you can make another Macrium image (it may be corrupt, but it may save something that you need). This may/may not backup the data on the current hard drive (depending on how badly the drive is damaged).

2)  run these free bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

The MemTest86 (NOT 86+) will boot on an UEFI system

The Seagate Seatools disk won't boot into UEFI - and that means you'd have to disable SecureBoot and enable CSM/Legacy mode in order to run it

3)  If you choose to skip the Seagate Seatools test (or if it fails), then you'll need to replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows on it.

In this case you can put your Macrium image on the new hard drive.

For more info on backup stuff, please post over in the Backup forums for more expert advice:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users