Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email spammer has personal info

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjf53

rjf53

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

Got an email today from an online retailer that I never heard of about a fictional order with a link to check the details.

Of course these are quite common but in this case they have my full name, cellphone number, and a previous address.

Should I be worried about this? Is there anything I can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to BC...

A bit late to be concerned about your info being on the web. You made a huge error in even opening the email. Now, most likely, the spammer

knows he has a valid email address to spam due to a beacon hidden in the email. Clicking on links in emails or opening attachments are dangerous, too.

NEVER open an email from unknown source and NEVER open an attachment unless you are 100% sure of what it contains.

That info could of been gotten from numerous sources.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

I have to disagree with buddy215 in terms of never opening e-mail from questionable sources.   There are messages that I would not open because they are obviously spam, phishing, etc., but others I would open because errors do happen.

Were I you I would check with my credit card company/companies to see if any charge has appeared on any account related to the company mentioned or any other that you do not recognize.   If you come up empty, then I'd just delete the message without thinking about it further.

As buddy215 has correctly mentioned the kind of information that is contained in that e-mail message is very easily obtained from myriad online sources for virtually anyone.  Try doing a web search on your own name, including middle initial (if applicable), and the state where you live now to see just how much historical information about you is out there for the picking.

Privacy as generations prior to those who've come of age in the computer age knew ceased to exist several decades ago.

Edited by britechguy, 02 October 2017 - 03:26 PM.
Fixed "new" with "knew"

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 rjf53

rjf53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thanks guys.

A beacon is an image, right? It's a basic old-style text email, no images, and my email client doesn't display images anyway. I'm well aware of the dangers of attachments and links, in fact I considered asking what would likely happen if I did click on this link, because I never have, on any message that I wasn't entirely sure about.

I've now realised that info has been out there for years attached to my domain names. I'm not going to google my own name, I'd rather not know! :)

Thanks again.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

From Wikipedia.... 

QUOTE: A web beacon or web bug is one of various techniques used on web pages or email, to unobtrusively (usually invisibly) allow checking that a user has accessed some content.[1] Common uses are email tracking and page tagging for web analytics. Alternative names are tracking bug, tag, or page tag, tracking pixel, pixel tag, 1×1 gif, and clear gif. [2] When implemented using JavaScript, they may be called JavaScript tags.[3]

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users