Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Drive is Corrupted or Unreadable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

I tried plugging in a USB drive which was perfectly fine three weeks ago into my computer, and I get a variety of messages:

1.  It tells me the file or directory is corrupted or unreadable

2.  It tells me to insert a disk into the drive letter of my USB

I've tried changing the drive letter and also running chkdsk.  When I do this, it says that certain files contain a "non-valid link".

Is there any way I can get my data back?  I have several important documents on this USB drive.

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2017 - 05:53 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,503 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Attach the USB flash drive. Open Disk Management. Is the drive listed as RAW or not initialized? 

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

JohnC, if RAW, would you recommend a particular Linux USB or DVD boot with data recovery utilities?  If yes, which ones? If not initialized is returned, would something like MiniTool Partition Magic version 9, or, some other USB/DVD Linux w/utilities ,work for the OP?  I'm asking because I thought before a Save-The-Data USB to USB copy can be made, the source has to have some sort of readable format, correct?  I'll be watching and learning here.

Edited by RolandJS, 06 October 2017 - 10:14 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

If RAW then I would use Testdisk for Windows to recover the data if possible then PhotoRec if Testdisk failed.

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

@JohnC_21, It says RAW.

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 08 October 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

Posted Today, 04:50 PM -- @JohnC_21, It says RAW.

If RAW then I would use Testdisk for Windows to recover the data if possible then PhotoRec if Testdisk failed.

InspBumstead -- I believe the above is your answer.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 October 2017 - 09:39 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#7 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

Posted Today, 04:50 PM -- @JohnC_21, It says RAW.

InspBumstead -- I believe the above is your answer.

It would be nice if I could get a walkthrough, just to make sure I'm not accidentally deleting something.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Sorry, I missed your post.

Download Testdisk for Windows and unzip to a folder on your desktop. Run Testdisk and select the device which in your case would be sdb or possibly sdc if you have two hard drives. Do not select the drive letter version, select the sdx device.

Select Analyze > Quick Search. If any partitions are listed highlight each and press "P". Are you files listed? If you have enough free space on your hard drive then press lower case "a" to select all. Press "C" to copy and "C" again to confirm. All your files will be recovered in the folder you unzipped testdisk to.

If you do not see any partitions using Quick Search then do a Deeper Search. If you can recover your files then it may be possible to write a new partition table to correct the RAW problem but at least you would have your files.

Testdisk step by step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users