Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me design/setup my small office network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 logglogy

logglogy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

Hello, this is my first post

I have a small company and I plan to setup the network myself.

I plan to use ethernet cable cat 6 so 1000Mb

The plan for the network I made in ms word, and saved as pdf so please check it and tell me is this a good way to set it up

Every opinion or advice is more then welcome.

I also apologize for my English.

I am interested in your opinion and how you would make it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logglogy

logglogy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:34 AM

For some reason it didnt upload the pdf properly check this link

http://docdro.id/ClWjWDk

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

Sure glad to help  :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

What kind of layer3 switch are you to use I'm curious?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 logglogy

logglogy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

What kind of layer3 switch are you to use I'm curious?

To be honest I still don't know I was thinking something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG200-26-Ethernet-Mini-GBIC-SLM2024T/dp/B004GHMU5G

http://www.tp-link.com/no/products/details/cat-41_TL-SG1024DE.html

Edited by logglogy, 02 October 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

This is a good switch but this is not a layer 3 switch. A layer 3 switch is a switch that also has routing abilities but that's alright. What router do you intend to use and does it support inter vlan routing?

A. Lattimore

#7 logglogy

logglogy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

This is a good switch but this is not a layer 3 switch. A layer 3 switch is a switch that also has routing abilities but that's alright. What router do you intend to use and does it support inter vlan routing?

I apologize I don't know what is a layer 3 switch. I was thinking to connect the internet from the modem (that the internet provider installed) with a lan cable to the switch, with this I expect everyone to have internet. If you don't mind show me what hardware you would use and how you would connect it. I appreciate your help

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

Not a problem just give me a moment, please.

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

LOL just says the updated post yes this https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG200-26-Ethernet-Mini-GBIC-SLM2024T/dp/B004GHMU5G 

is a layer 3 switch. How strong is your networking? I don't want you to get over your head.

Edited by arlattimor, 02 October 2017 - 11:54 AM.

A. Lattimore

#10 logglogy

logglogy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

LOL just says the updated post yes this https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SG200-26-Ethernet-Mini-GBIC-SLM2024T/dp/B004GHMU5G 

is a layer 3 switch. How strong is your networking? I don't want you to get over your head.

I am a beginner. I did setup the network that is already there and I also configured some cisco switches before. Feel free to bomb me with information, I can understand it. As I understand a smartswitch is already layer 3 (if you mean the OSI model) it allows to manipulate IP addresses.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Could I suggest something simpler?

Replace your WAP with a newer router that supports guest wifi access.  No complicated vlans [you have too few stations for them to be of any benefit] needed to separate the networks.

What I do recommend though is you have a firewall between your business network and the router.  Sonicwalls are my fav and their support is great with the subscription.  They also have email antispam and antivirus subscriptions for an additional layer of protection.  Depending on model you can also configure remote access for those workers who want office access from home/on the road.

#12 logglogy

logglogy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

Could I suggest something simpler?

Replace your WAP with a newer router that supports guest wifi access.  No complicated vlans [you have too few stations for them to be of any benefit] needed to separate the networks.

What I do recommend though is you have a firewall between your business network and the router.  Sonicwalls are my fav and their support is great with the subscription.  They also have email antispam and antivirus subscriptions for an additional layer of protection.  Depending on model you can also configure remote access for those workers who want office access from home/on the road.

Thx for your suggestion. I didn't even know that there are router with that option, thank you. I would still go with the smartswitch because later as the business grows I plan to separate departments using vlans. If possible please link me one of those routers

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

"I plan to separate departments using vlans"

Could you tell me why you think you may need to do this?  What do you think a vlan(s) are going to do for you?

Here is a link to the netgear guest wifi how to with a list of supported routers on the right

https://kb.netgear.com/24097/How-do-I-set-up-a-guest-network-on-my-Nighthawk-router

other brands also have this feature of guest isolation.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

I would say at this point in time that the majority of newer routers have guest WiFi network isolation.

I just installed a Netgear R6200v2 router, which is hardly their latest and greatest, and it has guest network isolation.  Given the number of home/small office WiFi I've configured over the years I really can't say when the last time was when routers or modem-routers did not feature guest network isolation.  Even for many that did not you could still effectively create same using subnetting (which is, of course, a bigger PITA than having that tidy Guest Networking built in).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users