Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Access My Computer, Control Panel, My Docs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mskdownload

mskdownload

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

Hi all,

I run WindowsXP home edition on my computer and have encountered the following problem.

When I click on the icons to open My computer, My Documents or Windows Explorer the whole screens goes blank for a few seconds then the desktop reappears as normal without having displayed the window box for My Computer, etc.

Even when I click on the start button and try to open My Computer, Control panel etc the same thing happens.

I can open Word or Excel via the desktop icons.

Would really apprieate any advice,

many thanks,
Michael

PS. this is my first post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:30 PM

Can you access your documents with Word once you have opened it?

Do you know exactly when this problem started?

If you do, try using Windows System Restore to revert your system state to an earlier date.

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

#3 mskdownload

mskdownload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

yes I can access my documents after opening Word. This problem started about a week ago, so tonight I'll try system restore as advised.

thanks Enthusiast.

Any ideas why this problem has occurred?

cheers,
Michael

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:40 AM

Messed up registry, virus, all the above. General system errors, sometimes they "magically" go away after shutting down for a while, meaning it's a ram thing, there's always so many possibilities.

#5 mskdownload

mskdownload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

tried your suggestion of using System Restore to fix the problem. It didn't work & received an error message from the System restore program 'cannot reset settings for this Restore point'. So I tried about 10 times using restore points at different dates, still no luck!

any other advice would be great, as i don't have a clue what to do!!!

many thanks,
Michael

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

Try booting to safe mode and run System Restore from there and if that doesn't work, reboot into safe mode again and choose "Last Known Good Gonfiguration".

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 September 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#7 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

If we are not going down the malware removal route then we have three choices,
- last known good configuration.
- an overal tidy up of the system
- repair with XPcd

try the first option first.
everyday is a gift

#8 mskdownload

mskdownload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:23 PM

thanks for your advice, will try this tonight.

BTW, how do i chose 'last known good configuration'? Is this an option when a i go thru the System Restore procedure?

cheers,
Michael

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:49 PM

You boot into safe mode and choose Last Known Good Configuration.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check for malware which can cause the kind of problem you are having.

Run both Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy from safe mode, updating each program’s malware definitions before you scan and allowing both to fix what they find.

If you do not already have these freeware aps installed on your computer, you can get them at the following sites:

*AdAware SE: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Following that that I suggest you post a “HijackThis” log for expert assistance with your malware infection.

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having had 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

After you post your log, please do not make any changes to your computer. Discontinue trying to delete anything with any program as changes will make your HJT log obsolete and waste valuable time spent by our HJT experts analyzing the log made innacurate by changes and therefore their plan formulated to address the problems will also be obsolete.

If after 5 days you still have gotten no response, then post a re-request and a link to your HJT log HERE.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic14717.html

Make sure you post your HJT log in the HJT forum, not here, because if you post it here in this forum the response from our HJT Team will be delayed because the post will have to be moved before they see it and it will fall in line behind many others posted that same day.

#10 mskdownload

mskdownload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:34 PM

Over the weekend i followed your advice & booted into safe mode and then carried out a system restore, this was successful and when restarting could now access My computer, Windows explorer, etc, thought fantastic, problem solved.
However, noticed that Zonealarm security suite (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc) was not launching at start-up like it normally does. Tried to launch it from the 'all programs' menu but no go. I think it is trying to launch itself at start-up cos after the desktop & icons appears the the egg-timer icon next to the arrow cursor blinks on & off. So, i thought i would just reinstall the Zonealarm program, don't have it on cd but do have the latest up-date in a download folder. When i tried to install it the install box came up and started to run, then i got a fault box appearing that stated 'Setup is unable to log into the TrueVector service. Install cannot continue without logging into the TrueVector service. Please use the service manager to shut down the TrueVector service and then restart the installer program' TrueVector is the main conmponent of security feature of Zonealarm, according to the Help section. As Zonealarm is not open i can't get into it to close down the TrueVector service.

Any advice on how to fix this? Also the original problem of not being able to access My computer, etc has re-occurred.

btw i ran Spybot Search & destroy and it fixed a number of viruses/adware. Don't have Adaware & can't download it till the start of October as i have exceeded my monthly download limit and are now limited to an extremely slow speed.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

If truevector or any part of ZA is running you should be able to stop it with the task manager
ctrl/alt/del

I think the ZA installer actually opens a download from the Internet, but you can try it.

The best thing to do would actually be to uninstall ZA completely and install it again.

The fact that your problem with opening "My Computer" has reappeared shows it is a continuing malware problem which has probably disabled ZA as well.

You really should post a Hijack This log in our Hijack This log forum (not here in the Windows XP forum) as that is going to be the only way to disinfect the computer from the malware infection.

If you didn't have a problem being online I would suggest another scan, the Windows OneCare safety scan before you ran the HJT log but that will take a considerable amount of time being online.

#12 mskdownload

mskdownload
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:07 AM

carried out a system restore in normal mode last night which was sucessful! Now Zonealarm loads at start up as before & all my previous settings are there.

still can't access my computer, etc. I think you're right about malware on my computer so i will do a Hijack This post.

thanks for your help & advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users