Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft did it again to my poor computer. Please help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RustyPup

RustyPup

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

Y​esterday Microsoft played a really dirty trick on me. It started to automatically download an update that changed the look of Windows 10 and it also changed the browser from IE11 to MS Edge. Also, it changed the appearance of my lock screen. It put the password blank on the lock screen. I have a beautiful close up of my doggie on my lock screen and all of a sudden, this blank with the word password above it appeared on my Rusty's face. In addition, this same picture minus the password blank appeared on what I call my log in screen. Let me see if I can explain all this a little clearer. I have a Dell laptop running a 64-bit copy of Windows 10. Now, when I boot up, first I see a black screen with the Dell logo in white letters. This I call screen one. Next comes the lock screen which I call screen two. This is the one that suddenly had the password  block appear on it  right in the middle of my doggie's beautiful face. Screen three had disappeared. This was a blue screen with a blank for the password and I chose a circular picture of my. This picture was different from the one on the lock screen. Screen four is what I call the log in screen. It is the one with the icons. Now, what happened was that Microsoft had combined screens two and three so this was why the password blank and the smaller picture were on my lock screen (screen two). I called the Quality Computer guys and told them about the picture and password blank on the lock screen (screen 2). The tech said that Microsoft had combined the sign in screen (screen three) with screen two and I said please put the sign in screen where it was. He did. This is all though. Somehow, my default browser got changed to Edge. The computer guy mentioned Edge to me. We couldn't get to IE 11 to reinstall it. I have trying to do this, but no such luck so last night I had the bright idea to do a recovery. At least I didn't do a complete recovery. I had the computer save my files. Now, I need to change the default browser from Edge to IE11 and I need to put the Quality Care Suite back on and also I need to reinstall Classic Shell.  I would really appreciate any help I could get.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Now, I need to change the default browser from Edge to IE11 and I need to put the Quality Care Suite back on and also I need to reinstall Classic Shell.  I would really appreciate any help I could get.  

You shouldn't be using any of these anyway.  Just my opinion though.

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

Wow, you did not try a system restore point before performing a recovery? Whenever an update is applied a system restore point is created first. So you may perform a system restore to put your computer back to the state it was before the update was applied? Why didn't the tech tell you this?

Edited by arlattimor, 04 October 2017 - 10:29 PM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:35 PM

You need to check and see if you still have system restore points available? If you do, then by the date stamp of the restore point, you can put the system back the way it was before the update was applied.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

Now, I need to change the default browser from Edge to IE11 and I need to put the Quality Care Suite back on and also I need to reinstall Classic Shell.  I would really appreciate any help I could get.  

You shouldn't be using any of these anyway.  Just my opinion though.

I would 100% agree with this. Those programs that you use are very questionable and I would definitely not be using those with Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Oh yeah, happy birthday and welcome to the forum. A simple system restore will help you temporarily, but this update will take effect anyway so you have to get use to it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Consider saving your data and doing a fresh install.

Maybe a reset would be ok but inquire first: we need more information on whether that could be a good idea.

The Quality Care Suite appears to me as a paid utility suite: you can ensure your computer is well maintained and secure without depending on them.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Consider saving your data and doing a fresh install.

Maybe a reset would be ok but inquire first: we need more information on whether that could be a good idea.

The Quality Care Suite appears to me as a paid utility suite: you can ensure your computer is well maintained and secure without depending on them.

Exactly. I would get rid of;

1. Quality Care Suite

2. IE11 since that web browser is really an antique that could be a security risk.

Classic shell isn't bad, I just installed it on a system that is running the fall update, version 1709 of Windows 10. Classic shell still works in 1709 for anybody that is interested.

Edit: Also, I just checked IE11 in version 1709 and it also works very well.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 05 October 2017 - 10:05 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

It would also be very handy to know what version of Windows 10 the OP's system is running, which can be easily obtained by hitting the Windows Key and typing "winver" (sans quotes) and hitting enter.

From the description of a number of things in the original message it appears to have been running a very old version of Windows 10 since the issues with changes in default browser from user selected IE11 (or anything else) back to Edge have been gone for quite a while, as well as reversions on customizations to things like the lock screen.

It's just very difficult to advise when there is no information available about what version was the "before" version and what version the upgrade was attempting to get to, particularly if versions were skipped (and I've seen that happen - I know of some folks who I fully expect will go straight to Version 1709 from Version 1607, skipping over Version 1703 entirely.)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#10 RustyPup

RustyPup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

Thanks everybody. Computer is all fine now and everything is fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users