Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Doesn't Save Info

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 S. Rogers

S. Rogers

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

Does anyone know why If I assign each computer/device on my network an IP address and turn ACCESS CONTROL ON. Meaning only those I have enter MAC Addesses for and assigned an IP Can access my Network.

Then I get assigned an IP that begins after the last IP I assigned and NOT the IP I assigned my device and to top it off if I go back into my access control some of the items I entered are no longer there. I have re-entered everything 4 times and I am sick of it.

Any advice?
NETGEAR WPN824

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

Have you tried to update the netgear to teh latest firmware, it sounds like a software control issue on the routers firmware or eeprom.

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:18 AM

That, or you haven't changed your netgear's password and they are just restoring system defaults whenever you add access control.

#4 S. Rogers

S. Rogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:02 PM

Unfortunatly, I did make sure I have the latest firmware upgrade, and I did change my password.
I made sure I had the lastest firmware before I posted to the site and I always change my passwords first thing when I am working with routers.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Well since you say you have done it before, have you made sure to save? If so, I suggest exchange the router.

#6 S. Rogers

S. Rogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

No, the router is almost a year old now and I thew the box out last week.

but here is another question.

Do you know how many reserved IP's/connected devices are allowed on the netgear wpn824?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like a problem with the router. Have you zero'd it out and have you flashed it with the most current firmware?

On my WGR614's the access control and reserved IP addresses work without a problem - and I'm able to block connections wired or wirelessly without any problems. I've got 8 reserved addresses set (2 wireless and 6 wired) and deny access to all other IP addresses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 S. Rogers

S. Rogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Hello John ~

Thank you for your reply and Thanks to all of you.
I have done all of these things and I checked on it this morning when I got up.
It all seems to be in working order now. *crosses fingers* Lets hope it stays that way.

~Shaunte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users