Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I leave my charger plugged in at %100 battery?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frusciante54

frusciante54

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

According to my research, batteries have charging cycles. So the more I drain and charge it, the faster it will die, right? I don't know, the research was mainly about smartphone batteries. So...

My old laptop's battery died in 2 years and I was using it the casual way. When it alerts me the battery is low, I plug it in. When it reaches 100%, I plug it off. So, it took 2 years to die - probably, in my view, due to higher numbers of charging cycles.

My current laptop is 5 years old now. It recently died so it took 5 years for it. And this time I just kept it plugged in as long as possible when the computer was on. Unless there was no electricity, or I had to move the laptop, it was always plugged in at 100%. I'm using the laptop kind of like a desktop. Always on a coffee table or on a desk. So the cables don't really bother me. But please don't say "Then why not use a desktop?" because I constantly have to move between different cities due to studying collage in a different city.

(BTW, when I say the battery died, I mean without the charger the laptop wouldn't even open)

So... Can we conclude from this that we should keep the chargers plugged in when the laptop is on? Or are there any downsides of this? (Which I haven't experienced - or did experience, but didn't know that it was caused by keeping it plugged in)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

You can save on the electric bill...be more green...by disconnecting the power/ charger when not in use...such as while you are sleeping. Other than that...I think your

own experience with the battery lasting 5 years is proof that it is not causing any shortness of life to the battery or has little or no effect.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

My HP G6 Laptop is plugged in always / anytime i use it about 8hrs a Day , 6 days a week , and thats for the past  5yrs { And its older than that }.

If for any reason i do run it away from home or without power , i still get over 2 hrs on the Battery.

From what i recall in that time , its gone to Sleep maybe 5 times when i forgot to plug it in.

So i suppose it depends on the Laptop Make / Battery Type / And a Good Charger.

But i personally think leaving it plugged in all the time doesnt harm it / or makes a difference IMO.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:05 AM

There are so many variables involved that it's impossible to make a blanket statement.

The battery chemistry is pivotal in determining overall life and whether charge/discharge cycles in specific configurations (that is how discharged and how much recharged) will have on battery life.

I don't think that there's a computer maker out there still using NiCd battery packs, but these were very sensitive to charge/discharge cycles and it's why they fell out of favor for a great many applications.

Their immediate successor chemistry, NiMH, was much better and didn't suffer from what were termed "battery memory" problems like NiCD did.

Most computers and smartphones now use Li-ion batteries which are much more robust in terms of number of charge/discharge cycles they can be put through and, as a result, their functional life.  When you add to this that many devices now have "smart charging" capabilities built in where they will allow a discharge down to a certain level even when plugged in to the charger constantly in order to improve battery lifetime the need to worry about keeping a device plugged in becomes less and less important.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

I don't know if other laptop manufacturers to it, but HP laptops will stop charging the battery automatically once it is fully charged.  Then it will allow the battery to discharge to about 95% before it starts charging again.

Like your five year laptop I leave my work laptop always connected to power.  Since we replace the laptops every three years batteries are not normally an issue.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

There was a time when users were advised to refrain from keeping their devices plugged in, based on the idea that letting a battery charge to 100 percent could wear the battery out more quickly. Today, however, modern devices are designed to stop charging at 100 percent and thus keeping them plugged in doesn’t impact the battery’s lifespan, according to Battery University. Calibrating your battery occasionally is important too—otherwise the display that shows you how much charge is remaining can be wildly inaccurate. Contrary to some recommendations, you don’t need to completely discharge a lithium-ion battery and then recharge it to somehow reboot or calibrate it – this is a destructive practice that’s very hard on your battery. Generally, the consensus seems to be that letting your battery discharge (without bottoming it out — aim for around 20 percent) and then charge it when possible is the best practice.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users