Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outdoor wifi antenna and cable

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Haki88

Haki88

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

I need advice, which antenna and cable to buy for outdoor. I need about 10-15m cable and antenna.  I dont need anything expensive because antenna needs like 15m distance to get full signal. I dont know which cable and this maybe looks stupid to say but, its outdoor cable so it needs to be quality cable and water proof (rain). Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

OK, I need a little more information, what exactly are you trying to do?  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Are you trying to bridge buildings, setup a hotspot, a point to multipoint?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

So from your post, if I am understanding it correctly you need a radio broadcast of 50ft or 15m is that correct?

A. Lattimore

#5 Haki88

Haki88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

I simply want to connect to router wifi.

edit: 15m

Edited by Haki88, 01 October 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

I see, so you want an outdoor antenna to connect to your wireless router is that correct?

A. Lattimore

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

What kind of router do you have what is the model number?

A. Lattimore

#8 Haki88

Haki88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

I see, so you want an outdoor antenna to connect to your wireless router is that correct?

Yes.

This is just my opinion: There is 15m distance between room and where i want to put outdoor antenna, and there is 15m distance from antenna to router. Since i cant see router network from my room because its in other "apartment" on 1st floor, easiest way is to put outdoor antenna. So it would look something like this:

PC->Cable (15m)->Antenna->Router

ps: I need to sleep, working tommorow morning, i will reply and msg when i return, thanks.

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

For this scenario, an outdoor antenna is not needed. What is required is a Wireless Repeater and that will resolve the issue.

A. Lattimore

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

"i cant see router network from my room because its in other "apartment" on 1st floor"

"PC->Cable (15m)->Antenna->Router"

A repeater would not work in this situation.  The reason is if you need to move the PC 15m closer to the router's wifi signal [what putting an antenna on the pc's wifi card is all about] it means you don't have a good enough signal to repeat.

Does your wifi card support a cabled antenna? Make and model of card?

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:08 PM

Interesting, and what makes you think a wireless repeater would not work in this scenario. By all means, tell me why it won't and I will prove to you it will. Considering that I've been designing and building wireless networks for the last 10 years.

A. Lattimore

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

A very simple principle you will agree with:

You can not 'repeat' [or amplify as most desire] a weak signal.

I am sure in all of your years of doing online technical support that its a familiar scenario of "why isn't my repeater working as desired" due to placement.  This is also why you place a repeater, usually, somewhere between the source wifi and destination receiver not at the receiver location which simply replicates the initial receiver problem of lack of bars/connection.

Think about it.  15 meters is appox. 85 feet.  The OP wants to put an antenna 85 feet from the pc to pick up the router wifi signal in the other apartment. 

If it takes that distance to get a good signal you sure as heck aren't going to repeat it in the apt

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

A very simple principle you will agree with:

You can not 'repeat' [or amplify as most desire] a weak signal.

I am sure in all of your years of doing online technical support that its a familiar scenario of "why isn't my repeater working as desired" due to placement.  This is also why you place a repeater, usually, somewhere between the source wifi and destination receiver not at the receiver location which simply replicates the initial receiver problem of lack of bars/connection.

Think about it.  15 meters is appox. 85 feet.  The OP wants to put an antenna 85 feet from the pc to pick up the router wifi signal in the other apartment. 

If it takes that distance to get a good signal you sure as heck aren't going to repeat it in the apt

So the concern is a repeater would not work in this situation.  The reason is if you need to move the PC 15m closer to the router's wifi signal what putting an antenna on the pc's wifi card is all about] it means you don't have a good enough signal to repeat.

Here is where your lack of understanding in wireless networks shows.  The average wireless router broadcasts out an omnidirectional signal 100 meters or 328ft from the center point of the router.

This means that it broadcast 328ft to the north, south, east, west. Now you, of course, will have to deal with other factors such as co-channel interference or channel bleed, absorption, reflection, refraction, diffraction, and scattering. This is why site surveys are done to address these other factors. 

A repeater will also broadcast 100 meters or 328 ft taking the signal from the router cleaning it up and rebroadcasting it. Also your math my friend is wrong the distance is 15 meters or 50 feet. The industry makes repeaters aka range extenders for the home just for this purpose. There is no need to go and purchase a $2000 piece of equipment like you recommended to another member. 

A wireless repeater is well within the range to easily resolve this problem and they can be purchased for under $50 unlike $2000.

Edited by arlattimor, 01 October 2017 - 10:42 PM.

A. Lattimore

#14 Haki88

Haki88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

Thing is i already tried repeater and it doesnt work (cant see network), but problem is house. House is build in 1963 with thick walls. Router is on 1st floor, and my room is in ground floor.

Black: Ground floor

Red: 1st floor

Blue: cable+antenna idea

https://imgur.com/a/vQt42

#15 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

Well, this is new information that was not provided earlier.  :thumbup2: Thank you for giving a little more clarity to the situation and for the diagram. This will most certainly help resolve your problem.

Edited by arlattimor, 02 October 2017 - 11:24 AM.

A. Lattimore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users