Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happened to Windows Photo Viewer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

I've noticed that Windows Photo Viewer does not come with all my Windows 10 Install Media.  I seems that it is on the Disk I have but not on the USB Created with the Official App they put forth.  It was also in the Assistive Tech Upgrade that I did recently, but when doing a Clean Install from the Officially Created USB only the Folder for it is present and not the actual Software itself?  Does this thing require an Install, or is it just an App that I can drop in from another install to make the "better" Photo Viewer work as it always has?

If this is possible, would someone show me how to do it, I'm still not super proficient in manipulating system files and folders.

Guess I'll need to download the iso again and use another medium to create the USB Install Media, and maybe that will get it back?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Restore Photo viewer: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14312-restore-windows-photo-viewer-windows-10-a.html
HTH,

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

I'm sure I tried that Goddess, but will try again asap.  That article is quite old and this is something new as far as I know.  I did not see Photo Viewer in the App Store when I looked the first time but will try again.

I was able to do this on a few machines with no problem, but not on this one as of yet.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

PC Punk,

I have Windows Photo Viewer under Windows 10 but, the machines on which this is the case have all been upgraded either from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Have you given any thought to a non-Microsoft photo viewer/editor?  I ask because both FastStone Image Viewer (my choice) and Irfanview (available in 64 bit and 32 bit versions) are both excellent alternatives that extend into photo editing if/when one wants it but work swimmingly as pure viewers with the ability to move from photo to photo in a folder within them.

Also, see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97cb249a-6557-495a-9a78-005408cb2f8e/windows-10-and-photo-viewer?forum=win10itprogeneral and https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/technology/personaltech/restoring-windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-10.html as well.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

The link I gave contains a .reg file which you download & click on to merge it into your registry to restore the photo viewer. There is no app on MS store which you can download.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

The link I gave contains a .reg file which you download & click on to merge it into your registry to restore the photo viewer. There is no app on MS store which you can download.

Whoops, didn't get that far in the article, thanks Goddess_Bastet that should work great, Brink does good work!  I wasn't following the outline he had going there.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

PC Punk,

I have Windows Photo Viewer under Windows 10 but, the machines on which this is the case have all been upgraded either from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Have you given any thought to a non-Microsoft photo viewer/editor?  I ask because both FastStone Image Viewer (my choice) and Irfanview (available in 64 bit and 32 bit versions) are both excellent alternatives that extend into photo editing if/when one wants it but work swimmingly as pure viewers with the ability to move from photo to photo in a folder within them.

Also, see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97cb249a-6557-495a-9a78-005408cb2f8e/windows-10-and-photo-viewer?forum=win10itprogeneral and https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/05/technology/personaltech/restoring-windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-10.html as well.

So they have been Upgraded, as in a Standing Upgrade, and not a Clean Install? 

I had WPV when I did the Standing Upgrade, but then did a Clean Install because I had a new SSD that I wanted to be Cleanly installed, and WPV was gone on the Clean Install.  So I will need to pay close attention now as to when it is included or not.  I could have sworn it was included in the Disk Image I created from an iso, but then months later created another Install Media on a USB with the Media Creation Tool, and this one definitely does not contain it.

Thanks Brian, I've always wanted to try Irfanview as it is well know to be very good, I just don't do to much with Photo's, and certainly not editing.  I will give it a try soon though.  I was using ShareX recommended by folks here for simple editing, but it wasn't simple enough for me.  I don't Photo Edit enough, and should, so that I could create some Tutorials etc.

Mostly need Windows Photo Viewer for Customers.  Seniors like these old familiar programs, as do I in this case.

Hope it's not against the rules to post a quote from the Technet site you linked, I thought it was quite funny.  Must be one of those Linux Freaks! lol, just kidding.

Evolutionary? Are you for real? Put down the crack pipe and recognize that you are producing complete junk. I am using my PC for business and if the Candy Chusher app self-installs on my PC one more time, I will completly remove Windows 10 from my PC. Everyone is pulling all of your useless apps off of their systems and going back to the classic views. From a usability perspective, Microsoft does not get it. This is why Windows 8.x and 10 IS NOT run in large businesses, anywhere in North America. All the new Windows 10 apps  slow, bloated, and pull all of your private information and sends it to Microsoft.

Let's all completely ditch Microsoft products and run a flavor of desktop Linux. At least in this space, we know what we are getting.

Thanks, pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 02 October 2017 - 02:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

PC Punk,

It is utterly unsurprising that Windows Photo Viewer, like a huge number of application programs from "Windows Past," does not come with a clean install of Windows 10.   Those programs have been deprecated at a minimum and most have been replaced.

They only get carried along so long as you are using a technique that follows the "Keep my apps and files"  method of updating/upgrading.  If you do either a Reset or clean install where you elect to "keep nothing" (the default if we're talking clean install) then anything that predates Windows 10 that is not also carried as part of Windows 10 will be gone.

I do not use clean installs or Resets with "keep nothing" unless absolutely necessary.   I don't even like Resets with "keep my files" since they don't have a "and apps" option as part of Reset (and I hope it eventually appears).  I really like, and encourage people to use, these instructions:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file, whenever possible.  You are offered a "keep my apps and files" option and the OS is, for all practical intents and purposes, reloaded from scratch.

As to the complaints about changes in Windows, well, even if I agree with them they amount to the proverbial pissing into the wind.  Nothing is so constant as change, and that's all the more true in the computing world.  Just because you liked something doesn't mean that you always get to keep it.  This has been true of all sorts of appliances, cars, etc., etc., etc., for my entire life and is true for computers and software, but the amount of time that passes between major changes tends to be much shorter in computing.  'Twas ever thus.  I prefer to spend my energy "getting with the program" rather than complaining because, ultimately, that's what one must do whether one likes it or not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

I think the most important thing to note is: I was calling Windows Photo Viewer "WFV"? lol, I went back and edited it.

I still like the old one better, and it is probably a simpler program as it don't links with all kinds of other media, like OneDrive account.  I'm sure the more Techie type will like it.  

I would even like it better if they would change the Theme back to the Default of Windows Photo Viewer.  

I don't lay down and accept things because I'm told to, I would rather speak up and say why I don't like something in hopes it will be changed.  If the change was for the good in the newer program that's fine, but I can't see how it is better, at least from my limited point of view as I don't use it all that much for anything besides viewing Photo's, or/and from what many others are saying.  If enough people complain, maybe they will make it better.  It don't even have to be the same old program, just not such a departure from the old.  

MS don't need to reinvent the operating system, they just need to make it better.  Was Windows 8 better than Windows 7? I think not. was Windows 8.1 better than Windows 7 I think not.  Is Windows 10 better than Windows 7, not to me?  Instead of reinventing the wheel, please MS, just evolve and make things better, not more confusing and useless.  At least Windows 10 has made lot's of business for IT Tech's with all it's problems right.  Sorry, but I hate, and have always hated the whole Tile Outline that Windows Ten follows, just like I don't like the new Chrome Settings layout.

Here are some of the more recent complaints about the App.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/why-do-you-prefer-the-windows-photo-viewer-over/09f59a75-229e-4c42-a6ba-9db51c9b6c12

I tried to do some testing but after choosing Windows Photo viewer to open pictures with, now the Photo App don't open even if I right click and choose to open with it.  No worries, I'll fix it, this is an old Windows 7 machine that has been upgraded, crashed, fixed, and all kinds of other stuff.  I'll try to compare the two to some extent, though probably not enough for folks that actually use this type of App, because I don't.  The old one worked fine for me and Actually Enjoyed the layout and the Theme of it.

Here is a good link on some good points of the App that I will need to explore.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/10-things-didnt-know-windows-10-photos-app/

Thanks guys, I will use that link you provided Brian!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:23 PM

PC Punk,

I don't mean to imply that people should not give Microsoft (or any product maker) feedback, as they certainly should.  It's the only way to even have the possibility of getting changes you want.

I concur with your opinion that Windows 8/8.1 were not better than Windows 7.  This was the first time a Windows OS pretty much abandoned a huge amount of "what came before" that people had decades of comfort and familiarity with under the false assumption that all the world would be "touch enabled" and that one can and should have an almost completely consistent UI across platforms.

I disagree with your opinion of Windows 10.  To me it is a classic example of innovation while, at the same time, having heard the loud and clear cries of the user base and bringing back a massive amount of UI features that were absent in Windows 8/8.1 by intent but carrying along the good things (and there were some) from Windows 8/8.1.  I have said many times prior to now that Windows 10 is an excellent marriage between Windows 7 (and what came before) and Windows 8 that is better than either one of them.

Of course, I realize that not everyone feels this  way.  But I also realize now that we're in to the Windows 10 era over two years that the ecosystem is, as far as the user interface goes, by and large stable and is not going to change.  Windows 7 will be gone in 2020 and Windows 8/8.1 in 2023 (I think).  If you plan to remain with Microsoft Windows in a version that is supported you will go to Windows 10 (just like we went from 3.1 to 98 to XP to Vista (some) to Windows 7 before).  Microsoft gets to decide what products it wants to offer and support and you get to decide whether you want to use them, but they're not going to custom tailor an OS to you (for the generic you, not PC Punk you).  No OS maker has ever done that and Microsoft allows for a lot more personalization than Apple ever has, and likely ever will.  Given how many "flavors" of Linux are around and the love of creating more (and given the age and maturity of Linux taken as a whole) I just do not see it ever taking over top spot in the business or home personal computer spheres.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi, Like Brian I believe win 10 to be the best OS yet offered, it can be modified to suit your needs and offers the best performance and security of any OS.

WPV was included in 7, 8 & 8.1 and when you upgraded the eight registry keys needed were not removed, so upgrades had WPV available. In clean installs the registry keys were not available. Modifiers like Shawn simply lifted the keys from legacy OS and made them available to win 10 users, in Shawns case he added the assoc changes to make WPV the default. (this can be done other ways).

This machine is a test unit and I have modified it considerably. It has only Calculator and Edge left from the modern apps.

Cortana, OneDrive are completely gone, it updates when I want it to, and some 18 services have been totally removed so it communicates with no one. The latter was important, since we have some sensitive gov'mt contracts. I only keep edge since it opens PDF files, and is not a bad browser. I use and prefer Chrome.

WE keep windows defender and windows firewall NO third party AV's are used, security is further hardened through our backup and restore policies (some of which employ purpose written software). I can say to any home user, save your money and hassles, you should only use Defender and Windows firewall, both for operability and security they cannot be beaten.

I should add I do not like the new desktop, so Classic Shell is used. You should also use default file associations to make all scripts open with notepad by default (that way you get to see them before agreeing to run them).You do need to know what you are doing to make these modifications. 

Win 10 was written with the mobile market in mind so it is processor efficient, what it does like to boost your perceived performance is Ram and a fast HDD (SSD preferred).

Edited by jenae, 02 October 2017 - 06:11 PM.

#12 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

Slightly modified, and on build 17004!

screenshot_11.png

Edited by dhagerjohns, 02 October 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

PC Punk,

I disagree with your opinion of Windows 10.  To me it is a classic example of innovation while, at the same time, having heard the loud and clear cries of the user base and bringing back a massive amount of UI features that were absent in Windows 8/8.1 by intent but carrying along the good things (and there were some) from Windows 8/8.1.  I have said many times prior to now that Windows 10 is an excellent marriage between Windows 7 (and what came before) and Windows 8 that is better than either one of them.

I don't disagree, and like Windows 10, just don't like some things about it, especially the Tiles!  Again, I detest the whole Tile Format and that's just me.  I assume some of the reason for Tiles is Business Computers and Touch Screens, so I'll give them that.  When Google Chrome shoved that into my browser I nearly smashed my computer, then figured out how to change it back. 

This is about WFV, and it don't seem good at all from what I can see.  I thought at first it was very cool looking with that Dark Theme, but then realized it was awkward to use and the theme takes away from the pic's IMO.  So I ask, why not Add the Functions they wanted but leave the long successful Theme of WFV?  I love Dark Themes, but quickly realised that they just don't work with some, if not many programs I use.

It's just too bad we can't have another Version of the OS that would make the Windows 7 Users happy.  And, maybe even all the Seniors that use the OS, whom have a hard time learning all the new aspects of Windows Ten.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi, Like Brian I believe win 10 to be the best OS yet offered, it can be modified to suit your needs and offers the best performance and security of any OS.

Appreciate all that detailed information jenae!  I will come back to this post to use some of that for sure!  See if I can make this thing work the way I want it to.  If I could just cram all that Windows Ten OS into a Windows 7 Theme I would be very happy.  And I do use the Classic Shell on all the computers I work on and people love it, and rarely ever causes problems that I'm aware of.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,862 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

Slightly modified, and on build 17004!

Very nice dhagerjohns!  This is what MS should have done LOL.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users