Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 diggem64

diggem64

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:13 AM

My son built a new PC using an msi Z170A M5 motherboard and everything works fine EXCEPT the speakers.   I hear the windows bootup sound, but no sound during games and web pages and no sound when trying to test.  I updated the drivers using the MSI Live Update 6 program and after I restarted it appeared the issue was solved, however my son's games all crashed when he tried to play.  All the games worked before.  So I restored back to prior to the MSI Upgrade and his game work again, but  I'm back to the same ole problem.  I try to update the Realtek Digital Output drivers and Windows says it's up to date.  I'm terribly frustrated.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any suggestions on what to try.  Once in a while, after a few reboots, the speakers will work fine with his games, and then the next day they don't.

I also have a Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card, but there's no audio ports on it.  I'm using an Intel i7 Chip if that matters.  I've attached a few screen shots as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached File  Output.PNG   26.82KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DeviceManager.PNG   44.29KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Realtek.PNG   19.59KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

High Definition Audio Codecs

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High%20Definition%20Audio%20Codecs

Posted Image

#3 diggem64

diggem64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Thanks FreeBooter.  I downloaded and ran the Realtek High Definition Audio Codec, but I'm still having the same problem.   When I try the Windows troubleshooter it says that the speakers are unplugged, but they're plugged in.   The speakers play the Windows bootup sound when I restart, but no sound in applications or when I try to test.  This is just strange. 

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Uninstall and reinstall device driver.

Are you sure your default playback device you have selected is correct one try other playback devices.

Edit: Also reset Windows services to there default startup state with batch script i have attached to this post.

Attached File  RestoreWindowsServices.zip   3.45KB   7 downloads

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 October 2017 - 01:56 PM.

Posted Image

#5 diggem64

diggem64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

I have the only playback device selected that doesn't say "Unplugged".  I ran the RestoreWindowsServices batch file you sent, but no real changes.  I try to test the playback and it says Error; Failed to play test tone.    I tried it again, and it doesn't give an error, but still no sound and it gives me the option to stop the test.  

I'm attaching some additional screen shots just to see if anything looks wrong to anyone.

Attached File  AudioEnhancementsProblem.PNG   8.71KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DeviceManager1.PNG   40.3KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Sound.PNG   27.39KB   0 downloads

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Driver enhancements give you some special sound effects that will enhance your audio experience.

The steps to disable driver enhancements are listed below:

a.     Click Start.

b.     Type Sound in the Start search box and click Sound from the available options.

c.     On the Playback tab, click Speakers and then click Properties.

d.     Click the Enhancements tab and then select the Disable all enhancements check box.

Posted Image

#7 diggem64

diggem64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

I have several speaker options on the Playback Tab, but all say "Not plugged in" except the Realtek Digital Output.  It doesn't have the Enhancement tab when I check the properties though.

Attached File  Output.PNG   26.82KB   0 downloads

Edited by diggem64, 02 October 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Uninstall all audio device drivers and reconnect your speakers or restart your computer. 

Posted Image

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hi, from your screen shots "Sounds" you need to have speakers "Realtek high definition Audio" will it let you do this? The relevant  class for Media in device manager is listed under this key in the registry, from an elevated cmd prompt copy and paste this:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000" > 0 & notepad 0 

Press enter, this will read the details of this key shows speakers and driver version as well as driver date, does not alter anything, so is perfectly safe.

I do caution against setting services to their default states as a diagnostic tool, far better to know what relevant services are in play and use the sc  cmd's to query the services.. for example your defaults have BITS as automatic when win 10 has it as manual, other services are altered by certain processes and third party utils. It is safer to do each individually, although your efforts in producing the batch file is  appreciated.

#10 diggem64

diggem64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hi jenae and FreeBooter,

Thanks for the help!!

I'm not sure if anything is fixed or if it's just the intermittent time that it decides to work.  I wasn't able to work on this for the last day or so, but today I got home from work and lo and behold my daughter was listening to music on the PC.  She did absolutely nothing except open Spotify.  So I looked at the Playback devices and it has a totally different icon than I've seen before.  I had already removed all the NVIDIA stuff, but it wasn't working after I did that plus I removed and reinstalled the sound drivers after that as well.   I'm attaching screen shots of one of the earlier Playback Devices as well as the current.   I'm also attaching the reg query results too.  I'm not sure what I'm really looking at, but it does show a recent driver.  I'm hoping it's fixed from something I did the other day, but since it wasn't working before I imagine it's temporary.

Attached File  new playback devices.PNG   19.3KB   0 downloads      Attached File  original playback device.PNG   26.82KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

Looks like computer using the correct playback device you should not worry problem is resolved.

Posted Image

#12 diggem64

diggem64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  It's still working this morning, so that's a good sign.  :)

Thank you for the help.

Thanks to jenae too.   I'm not even sure what fixed the problem....or if it is truly fixed, but I really appreciate the time you took to respond and give me things to look at.  So far it looks good.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

You are very welcome!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users