Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

Laptop or Desktop?

- Laptop

My budget for the new computer is: 

- £400

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

- Writing Documents, PowerPoints, Essays, Web Browsing. Just your basic machine really

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

- Libre Office, Python, Chrome

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

Whilst I do play games, this is just for working so, no.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

I close as many programs as I can. At the most, I'll have 2 or 3 tabs open in Chrome, A Python file being edited and Libre Office in the background. 4 GB of RAM is something I'd say is a minimum

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

No, only some text documents and the odd pictures.

Will you be overclocking?

- Hmmm. Laptop + Overclocking + £400  :hysterical: 

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

- The UK.

Do you need peripherals? OS?

- Provided it comes with OS, I'm fine.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

- I never had a laptop in the first place

Extra Notes:

Would much like a decent battery life. Preferably in the realm of 8+ hours but will settle for 6+ hours seeing as I can charge it throughout the day. Just the convenience of being able to take it off the charger. As I don't use a lot of storage (even my current computer which I use for games has only 284 GB out of 1TB used), I'd much prefer a small, fast SSD over a larger but much slower HDD. Also would prefer it being completely new as opposed to being refurbished. I know I can buy stuff that is considerably better for the same price if it's refurbished but I'm still going to go for a weaker Laptop which is completely new.

Edited by Planemaster2, 01 October 2017 - 10:55 AM.

System Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                           - Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)           - Audio: Corsair HS40 USB Gaming Headset
CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Vishera 32nm Technology)         - Display: HE247DPB (1920x1080/60Hz)                          - Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 ATA Device
RAM: 12.00GB Single-Channel DDR3/801MHz                - GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)         - Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Do you have any prospective vendors in mind?  I ask because your currency denomination is not in dollars and some of us tend to look at U.S. vendor prices and know nothing about what's going on in other currencies regarding availability of system-purchase options.

Louis

#3 Planemaster2

Planemaster2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

Do you have any prospective vendors in mind?  I ask because your currency denomination is not in dollars and some of us tend to look at U.S. vendor prices and know nothing about what's going on in other currencies regarding availability of system-purchase options.

Louis

Places such as CCL Computers, Scan UK, eBuyer, Amazon etc...

Anywhere which is reputable in terms of Trustpilot reviews. Preferably not Currys PC World as I've had awful experiences with them in the past. 

Edited by Planemaster2, 01 October 2017 - 10:59 AM.

System Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                           - Motherboard: GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2)           - Audio: Corsair HS40 USB Gaming Headset
CPU: AMD FX-6350 (Vishera 32nm Technology)         - Display: HE247DPB (1920x1080/60Hz)                          - Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD1 ATA Device
RAM: 12.00GB Single-Channel DDR3/801MHz                - GPU: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)         - Storage: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users