Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows not recognising dual monitor setup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 timmystood

timmystood

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

Hi guys, 

I got a brand new, custom built gaming PC a few days and the setup of the dual monitor system is really irritating me because it just won't work! 

So, I've got one screen connected via HMDI, this works no problem and all is fine. The second monitor I have tried connecting via VGA to both DVI-I and DVI-D, using an adaptor, but no dice with either. 

I have tried rolling back the graphics card driver, reinstalling the graphics card driver, swearing lots and threatening to throw the screen out the window. I've updated Windows 10, used a previous version of Windows 10 etc. etc. 

Physically, I have tried three different monitors and three different cables, plus both DVI ports. I have made sure I'm plugging into the graphics card and not the motherboard. 

Now, the slight curveball here is that I was originally trying just the DVI-D port as I didn't have and DVI-I adaptor, but I got one today. I plugged it in and the second monitor worked fine. Great, I thought, I've fixed it. But no. I went for lunch, came back and the computer had gone to sleep, woke it up and the monitor was not recognised again. 

I've done Windows + P, been in the NVIDIA control panel to change the dual monitor settings, been on device manager etc. and it just won't work. It's really irritating me.

I don't think I've missed off anything I've tried! But I'm at my wits end. I've tried every solution on the first 5 pages of Google. The guy who built the computer said he set it up using VGA to DVI-I and because it did work earlier, I'm tempted to believe that the port does work and that this is an issue with Windows, rather than the hardware itself.

HELP!!

The graphics card is NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 1050 ti.

P.S. I have tried disconnecting the HMDI and trying solely the DVI-I port, but no success, even in the BIOS.

I'm a relative noob so please keep technical words to a minimum!!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 timmystood

timmystood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Bump  :bananas:

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

Have you updated to the latest nVidia drivers?

You connected three additional monitors did they work by themselves if the HDMI monitor was disconnected?

Can you connect the HDMI monitor with a different connection?

#4 timmystood

timmystood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Have you updated to the latest nVidia drivers?

You connected three additional monitors did they work by themselves if the HDMI monitor was disconnected?

Can you connect the HDMI monitor with a different connection?

Hi Kilroy,

Yup, it's the latest NVIDIA driver, I even rolled-back to try an older version, and completely reinstalled it - to no avail.

The additional monitors only worked through the HDMI slot, only briefly has any monitor worked with the DVI ports. 

The HDMI monitor can be connected via DVI, but as I say, this isn't working for some reason. I can't work out if this is hardware or software related.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Are the monitors set to use the DVI input?

Can you provide a link to your actual card?  It seems that there are different video connectors depending on which card you have.

What video outputs do you have available on the card?

#6 timmystood

timmystood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Are the monitors set to use the DVI input?

Can you provide a link to your actual card?  It seems that there are different video connectors depending on which card you have.

What video outputs do you have available on the card?

The second monitor only has a VGA output, so I'm using a VGA to DVI adaptor. That said, another monitor I tried has a range of outputs, including DVI, and that also didn't work.

When you say a link to the actual card, what would that mean please?

The outputs on the card are just DVI-D and HDMI.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

How many DVI-D and how many HDMI connectors does it have?

Have you tried just a straight DVI connection?  It may be an issue with the DVI adapter you're using.

#8 timmystood

timmystood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

How many DVI-D and how many HDMI connectors does it have?

Have you tried just a straight DVI connection?  It may be an issue with the DVI adapter you're using.

One DVI-D and one HDMI. 

I've tried the adaptor an another computer and it works fine, plus it did work on this PC, albeit for ten minutes prior to sleeping. Yes I've tried a straight DVI with no joy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users