Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Os

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dumafach

dumafach

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:26 PM

I have Windows XP Home and was thinking of changing to XP Small Buisness. Is this a good or bad idea? If it is a better OS how do I change it? Is it worth the hassle? I would appreciate any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

I am not sure what you mean exactly.

There is XP Home and XP Professional. Professional is usually used by businesses. Is this what you mean?

There is also a program from Microsoft called Office XP Small Business. Could you perhaps be confusing XP Home and Office XP Small Business?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

For the record, unless you are using your computer for business purposes it really isn't worth going through the trouble for. XP Professional doesn't really add anything of any value to the home user.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

Actually XP Pro has lots of advantages for the home user if they want more security and control over their computer.

You can find several of the advantages of Pro in my post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...xtended+support

and more here:
For one thing, MS support for XP Home will end two years after the release of Vista. XP Pro, considered a business product will have five additional years of extended support after that date.

Other features such as Automated System Recovery comes in XP Pro and is not available in XP Home.
So does remote desktop access capability, group policy editor, ability to join a domain, full user policy management.
Neither are other features available in XP Home such as The following corporate management features that are not included with Windows XP Home Edition -
Folder Redirection, Group Policy settings, Local Policy settings, System Policy settings (Poledit.exe), Roaming User Profiles, Offline Files and Folders, Remote Software Installation and Maintenance
Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Some other networking differences between the XP Home and Professional Edition
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ls/wxpdifs.html

#5 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

Yes I made a mistake. It is microsoft Office XP Small Business. I thought I would be able to do more and have more control in the business application. I just didn't know how hard it would be to install the new program or if it would cause me problems. Thanks for all your help. I will read what was posted by Albert Franenstien. If you have more advice, I could use it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:34 PM

System Requirements Office Small Business Edition 2003
Microsoft Windows-based computers

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP, or later; to use sharing functionality in Business Contact Manager Update for Outlook 2003, the host machine must be running Microsoft Windows 2000 with SP3 or Windows XP Professional Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/pro...97-6dac071b19b0

Looks like not all functions will work unless you have XP Pro but you have to evaluate what you need it to be capable of doing.

#7 dumafach

dumafach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

Do I have to delete office 2003 to install office xp small business? Can I just add it and use it along with office 2003? I should have the capacity to run it.

Compaq Presario,Windows Xp Home Edition SP2,Office 2003 Teacher Student Edition,2.53 GHz Intell Celeron CPU,512MB Ram,80 GB Hard Drive,High Speed DSL Internet.

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Actually XP Pro has lots of advantages for the home user if they want more security and control over their computer.

and more here:
For one thing, MS support for XP Home will end two years after the release of Vista. XP Pro, considered a business product will have five additional years of extended support after that date.

Other features such as Automated System Recovery comes in XP Pro and is not available in XP Home.
So does remote desktop access capability, group policy editor, ability to join a domain, full user policy management.
Neither are other features available in XP Home such as The following corporate management features that are not included with Windows XP Home Edition -
Folder Redirection, Group Policy settings, Local Policy settings, System Policy settings (Poledit.exe), Roaming User Profiles, Offline Files and Folders, Remote Software Installation and Maintenance

Your talking corporate management features here. What home user needs features intended for the corporate user? Every feature you listed is more useful for corporate users than for a home user.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

and more here:

Your talking corporate management features here. What home user needs features intended for the corporate user? Every feature you listed is more useful for corporate users than for a home user.

I'm also talking about a home user that has children using the computer who doesn't want them to be able to access his or her documents.
In XP Home you have only two groups of users - Admin or limited, and limited is insufficient to run any aps that make registry additions or changes (like many of the games children would want to be able to play).

In Home you cannot secure your documents or data,

There are many other differences between the capabilities of Pro vs Home as well as well as the five years of additional support Pro will recieve that Home will not.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

Do I have to delete office 2003 to install office xp small business? Can I just add it and use it along with office 2003? I should have the capacity to run it.

Compaq Presario,Windows Xp Home Edition SP2,Office 2003 Teacher Student Edition,2.53 GHz Intell Celeron CPU,512MB Ram,80 GB Hard Drive,High Speed DSL Internet.

I don't believe you would have to delete Office 2003 unless you did not have enough free space on your hard drive for both but you would need to set the various components of xp small business to be the default aps.

Actually installing it may overwrite the previous Office installation - I don't know, but my guess is that it will probably set itself as the default ap.

What I do know is that I have both Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 and Open Office which is a freeware ap similar to Office installed on my computer and have no problem resulting from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users