Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Turns Off When Plugging in or removing usb 2.0.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Meow85

Meow85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:37 PM

So a couple days back I was doing some work when my monitor (I use a T.V for my monitor) suddenly stopped recognizing my PC. It just said no signal etc. The next day I spent some hours trying to fix it, and eventually fixed it somehow by taking all of my PC parts out of the PC, and putting them back in place. This allowed to see my screen again of course; this resulted in a different problem: My PC randomly would just freeze and turn off. No error no nothing. It only did this 3 or 4 times and now that has entirely stopped. Now all of a sudden when I plug in anything (not just usb 2.0 cables) into my pc, it just turns off.

I guess I should add that when I went to sleep the night my t.v monitor stopped recognizing my PC I kind off could smell as though something had short-circuited so I unplugged everything in my room. But there's nothing to really support that other than the smell. 

My pc specs:

Motherboard: M5A78L-M/USB3

GPU - AMD Radeon 380

CPU - AMD fx 8320

RAM - 8GB DDR3 Ripjaws (2 4GB)

PSU - EVGA 500W +80 Bronze

Sorry for the bad/vague description but I am completely lost on how this makes any sense. Last I had a short circuit it completely ruined the electricity throughout my whole house and it ruined the socket from where it came. I'm not too educated on any of this either so I don't know if short circuits can vary in damage and stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

Last I had a short circuit it completely ruined the electricity throughout my whole house and it ruined the socket from where it came. I'm not too educated on any of this either so I don't know if short circuits can vary in damage and stuff.

It would depend where the short was.  A short on mains voltage would likely give a bit of a bang, may cause the houses circuit breakers to trip, possibly cause further damage to plugs and wiring.  The PC's power supply outputs at low voltage DC, and a short on that side of the circuit would probably be less spectacular but just result in something (a wire, fuse, component etc.) burning out and failing.  This often leaves a telltale unpleasant smell of burnt solder etc..

My gut feeling from your description is that the power supply has failed.  There are ways to test voltage when it's running with a multimeter. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158  The sudden turning off without warning is typically PSU related from what I've seen anyway.

Edited by jonuk76, 01 October 2017 - 01:15 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users