Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving windows 7 to a seperate partition/seperate drive

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:04 AM

Alright everything seems to be in order now, I've gone through all my programs and grabbed all the settings I can think of, just in case the 7 install doesn't go as planned, I've also got on my external drive a full backup of my C and D drive as they are right now. Now I'm wondering if it's better to clone C (7 install) disk to D, since I have a complete back up D, and then after that's done, restore all the other data on my D drive to a different partition on there? I ask this because I don't have enough space at the moment (with a full backup of C/D via Reflect) to back up the 7 install again, but it's on the external and I'm comfortable with cloning it now if it does erase the data on D. Would that be a better approach here? Thanks heaps for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Since I have never used the clone feature, I don't feel qualified to give you a suggestion on that. I have done the method I outlined in my post numerous times, and I like it because I can test each step as I go before committing to a reformat/re-partition. I use a docking station with HDDs for all my backups on all the computers in my home. I have a lot of older drives from various builds through the years and I can pop them in and out as needed. You might investigate purchasing a drive with a larger capacity, then after you are done you can use if for backups (you are making regular system backups as part of your regular routine, right?).

[EDIT]: afterthought:  If you encounter problems when imaging Windows 7 onto the 2TB drive, first wipe it with a new partition and format. I only had this problem once when my sister-in-law's computer crashed and I re-imaged her OS from a backup onto the drive. I had to wipe the original drive first, then Macrium Reflect worked its magic perfectly.

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 October 2017 - 05:24 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#18 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

Going through it now, I've just deleted my test windows 10 partition, but when I try to extend my SSD to have that space it gives me a warning about converting to a dynamic disk. Is there any way of extending the disk without converting it to dynamic? Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/fWBlg9c.png

#19 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

Disk one is a 250gb SSD.

You should leave at least 10% raw partition at the end of your SSD for Over Provisioning

#20 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

Ok, I've done all the steps as recommended, but when I first had them both in, I could only boot into 7, if I disconnected the 2tb, I could then boot into 10. The error it gave me when I couldn't boot was 0xc0000225 saying that I was missing a required file/it can't locate it, I think it was winload.efi. So I did some googling and did some repairBCD commands, however when I went to recreate the BCD file, with both the drives connected, it said the requested system device cannot be found, even though it knows there's another Windows install?

For now I am using Windows 10 and sorting out all of my settings etc, I don't really need the 7 install, it was just in case I forgot something in the next few weeks, if not I'll just nuke it. However whenever I restart it gives me the option to skip disk checking, which I've done every time so far, I didn't request it, could it just be part of the bcd commands that I executed?

Thanks heaps for all the advice!

edit: A picture of my disk management now, if it helps in any way: https://i.imgur.com/ZiByyE1.png

Also my msconfig boot options now only show Windows 10 as current/default.

2nd edit: Forgot to mention that when I first installed 10, plugged in my backup drive, accessed it with Reflect, I couldn't access videos/images save location, unless I disabled UAC: Run all admins in Admin Approval Mode. With that disabled I could then access my external drives files. It worried me though, this seems like too much of a simple fix to not bring it up.

Edited by Chryspa, 03 October 2017 - 01:38 AM.

#21 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Check the boot order in your bios to see which drive was set to boot up first?

#22 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Here's an album of all my boot options: https://imgur.com/a/8sbce

It seems to look ok.

#23 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

If both systems are booting and you can access all your data, you are home free. Just bear in mind that you made a partition on the HDD (drive E) so you do have a separate partition. If you remember, I was giving instruction for only having a single partition on each drive. So...when you back up, make sure Reflect backs D and E together, not just one of them. If that HDD ever fails all your data is on it and you will lose everything, so make sure about backing both up.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#24 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

They both boot, but the Win 7 does it in a VERY abnormal way. When I start the computer I'm faced with 'press any key to skip disk checking', I didn't skip it this morning and it repaired only a few files after around 10 seconds. Then it immediately went into Windows 10. msconfig on the 10 machine only shows Win 10 as the current/default OS. If I restart the machine, go into BIOS and then select to boot off the Win 7 drive, I get a Win 10 BSOD (Error 0xc0000225 a required device isn't connected). If I press F9 at this point to 'boot into a different OS', it then loads Windows 7. I'm fairly sure I've messed something up in the boot loader, but I'm not totally experienced when it comes to dealing with it. Like I said earlier it doesn't matter TOO much but I want the standard way of it working by just showing two OS options and giving me x to input or it goes to default. Thanks again.

Edited by Chryspa, 03 October 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#25 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Try placing the SSD and the Windows Boot Manager (Samsung 750 EVO) on Sata6_G1: and the 2tb drive/ Windows Boot Manager on Sata6_G2 (ST2000 DM006-xxx)

#26 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Do you mean switching it around in BIOS or physically switching the sata cables around? 

#27 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:46 AM

Switch the sata cables, and set Sata6_G1 as the first boot device in the bios

#28 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,419 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

go into BIOS and then select to boot off the Win 7 drive,

When you first start the computer, there is one of your F keys that you tap immediately (see your motherboard manual) and that will give you a Boot Option list of all bootable drives; then just use the arrow keys to hilight the drive you want to boot in to and hit Enter. If you do not tap the F key, then the computer should boot into the operating system you set as 1st Boot Device in the BIOS. You don't need to enter the BIOS every time you want to select an operating system.

#29 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Ok I've got 10 working fine, 7 is a little glitchy because it seems to want to boot into 10, if I press f9 it boots into 7 fine though. I don't mind it being like that because I won't need it for much longer, I can still access it if I need to which is what I wanted to achieve, thanks heaps for all the assistance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users