Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving windows 7 to a seperate partition/seperate drive

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Chryspa

Chryspa

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

Hi, I have 2 hard drives on this machine, a 240GB SSD, and a 2TB internal HDD. I have Windows 7 x64 installed to C drive and Windows 10 x64 installed to the D drive (internal HDD). I want to move the Windows 7 install off the C drive, and to a seperate partition on the D drive, then install a fresh copy of Windows to the SSD/C drive. Is this possible? What are the steps I need to take to ensure I can boot the windows 7 install if I move it? Is it good enough to use Reflect to create a clone of the disk then back it up to the partition on my data drive? Or will that mess with the rest of the files on the data drive?

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2017 - 09:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:13 AM

In theory, this should be possible. When you boot Windows, by tapping an F key on boot you should be able to bring up the OS options screen; arrow down to which ever system you want to boot and hit Enter. Check your manual that came with your motherboard to make sure your BIOS supports this feature.

If I am reading your post correctly, you want to end up with W7 and W10 on your HDD drive, and another W7 on your SSD drive.

Things to consider:

> To create a new partition on your HDD drive, you can use a partition utility to create the new partition without damaging the existing partition (hopefully!). I strongly suggest that you create a backup image of your existing Windows 10 first to different source, just in case everything goes south. In worst case scenario you can re-image back onto the HDD and you are back in business. Whenever you mess with partitions, always back up your OS and data first.

> M/Soft will not permit two copies of the same operating system to run simultaneously, so you may run into problems there. You will have to purchase another copy of W7 with a different key number.
> Macrium Reflect will make both clone and image backups; I, personally, prefer a complete image, and then re-image onto the partition. I have never used the clone feature, but it should work. If you are running the free version of Reflect, check that the clone feature will work with the free copy, I have not checked that out myself.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#3 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

I misworded slightly. I want just one copy of Windows 10 and one copy of Windows 7. I run 7 on my SSD at the moment, but I've basically worked out that I need to run Windows 10 on the SSD, with the hardware I have or else I get unbearable tearing. I figured that out by installing Windows 10 to a partition of 150G on my HDD. Now I want to format the Windows 10 install from my HDD, and replace that, with the Windows 7 install that I currently have on my SSD/C Drive, just in case I need to access it again. Then I want to install a fresh version of 10, to my SSD, so that I can move off of Windows 7 and to 10, but still have access to my 7 install. I'm just worried that if I clone the C drive, from my SSD that has 7, and replace the files to a HDD partition, that it may not boot because it's not in the 'right' location. 

Thanks for the help.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:44 AM

Download the Windows Creation Tool and make a dvd/usb install medium of Windows 10 (be sure to use the same version as you already have... ie: Windows 10 Home, Pro...ect)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then what you can do, is to back up any data on the Windows 10 D drive, (because when you clone to it, you'll lose everything) Then use Reflect to clone from C drive to D drive. After you do that you can disconnect the SSD and see if it'll boot up Windows 7 that you just cloned to be sure that does work properly.

Then disconnect the 2tb platter (old D drive) that now has Windows 7 on it, and connect your SSD, boot up the pc with the Windows 10 disk/usb and install Windows 10 onto your SSD.

Edited by Joe C, 01 October 2017 - 02:51 AM.

#5 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:20 AM

How necessary is disconnecting the drive? I've never done that on this machine, is it just removing the cable that connects to the power?

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:30 AM

Yes, just power down your pc, and disconnect the power cord from the wall. Open the side up on your pc and ground yourself to a metal part on the case to prevent any static discharge. You can unplug the sata cable or the power rail, or both. Doesn't matter so long as the drive is not operable. I say this because if your 2 tb is working while you install 10 on the SSD, Windows 10 might install the boot loader on the 2tb platter drive, which defeats the reason that you have an ssd.

#7 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Ok, sounds easy enough. I'm about to copy my 7 install to my internal 2tb with Reflect, I just want to be sure I'm not about to destroy any other data. I've clicked clone disk, clicked my C drive and its partitions, and then clicked the partition that I've created on my 2tb for my 7 install, as indicated by the line underneath it in the screenshot, is that correct? 

https://i.imgur.com/itLUdVU.png

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

Not sure if you can clone #1, #2 and #3 from the SSD to a D drive partition. Never tried it that way because I've always cloned from a platter drive to a SSD. I do know that reflect will want to wipe the destination drive before it clones from selected disk to the destination disk.... Just never tried cloning to only a partition on a destination disk.

Edited by Joe C, 01 October 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

I'm sure if someone else here has cloned to just a separate partition with Reflect, they will chime in for you

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Okay, just to get this straight....the end-result you want is Windows 10 fresh-installed on the SSD/150gig drive, and your current Windows 7 copied on to your HDD/2TB drive. There are no sub-partitions on either drive, both operating systems will each access a full drive.  Is that correct? Don't describe about how to do it, just the final result you want.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#11 Chryspa

Chryspa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

Yes that's correct, however there's a partition on the 2TB that has a lot of data I need to keep, which is why I don't want to clone it with Reflect, in case it tries to format the entire drive.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,304 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

I have cloned a single partition to Unallocated Space, using EaseUS Partition Master Free.  Note that I said "unallocated space" since I don't believe that a clone can be made to formatted/partitioned space.

Louis

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

there's a partition on the 2TB that has a lot of data I need to keep

Ok, since there is no operating system involved on that partition, save that data to a separate, off-computer source (another HDD would work) and you are home free. I must go to a meeting right now, will check in later with the steps you can take.

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

You will need an external backup drive large enough to accommodate the full partition of your largest operating system.

Make certain that your computer is set to 1st Boot Device=Optical drive in the BIOS. See your computer documentation if you don't know where this is.

*** I assume that you are experienced with Macrium Reflect, and have made a Reflect Emergency Restore disk  that you have tested and works.

Have both drives installed in your computer, the SSD and the HDD/2TB. Power down.

> Unplug the power cable to the HDD/2 TB drive. Leave the SSD plugged in. Power up.

> Make a full backup image of your SSD/Win7 drive to your external backup drive. Test the image to make sure it is good before proceeding.

> Delete the SSD partition (IOW, wipe the drive) and create a new, full partition, then format in NTFS.

> Install Windows 10 to the SSD drive. Test it to make sure it will boot and run properly before proceeding.

> Power down; unplug your SSD/Windows 10 power cable, and plug in the HDD power cable that you previously had unplugged. Power up.

> Re-image the Windows 7 backup onto the HDD/2TB drive. Boot it and make sure it runs properly.

> Move the data that you had previously saved to your external drive back on to the HDD/Win7 drive.

Done.

Windows 10 should be your C:\\ drive and boot first. If not, you can reset the boot order easily in the BIOS. Check your manual that came with your computer for help if you don't know where to find it.

Note: you would be wise to check that you have all the chipset and other motherboard drivers for Windows 10. Be sure to install them after installing Windows 10 in case you have problems with some components.

[EDIT]: Afterthought: After imaging, you may find that the partition on the HDD/2TB drive is much smaller than the total capacity of the drive; if so, you can expand the partition size to encompass all the space using Windows 7 Disk Management or any of several other tools available.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 October 2017 - 06:01 PM.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

RanchHand, I'm posting a quick word so that I can watch this thread!  You are very thorough, I will learn much.  The only thing I can add is:  make both USB and DVD boots just in case one of the two doesn't temporarily work.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users