Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having some issues installing a program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

I've been doing some system cleanup, and I've come across a program that I can't seem to uninstall. It's not listed in the Add/Remove Programs section of the control panel. And Revo Uninstaller doesn't detect it off the bat and I'm too nervous to try to fiddle with anything beyond what's obvious.

The folder has the uninstaller exe and dat files, however upon running the exe I get this error, even with running as admin and all privileges that would allow executing.

" Windows cannot find the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Now my AV, ZoneAlarm detected the file as Adware and quarantined it. I restored it to try to uninstall the thing as a whole. I'm not entirely sure if that buggered it and caused this, but any help would be appreciated. 

Part of me just says to delete the folder and be done with it, but I thought I may as well try to get some help with this.

(Edit: Sorry about the title, must've overfocused and missed that, my bad)

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2017 - 08:58 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

Use Wise Program Uninstaller to force uninstall the program.

Posted Image

#3 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:10 PM

Wise unfortunately didn't do the trick, however it didn't find any registry keys linked to the thing. So in the end I just deleted the folder entirely. Hopefully no further issues pop up. But for now this is resolved.

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

You should run AdwCleaner just to make sure you are clean and if there is any infection you can ask for checkup at Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Posted Image

#5 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

Adwcleaner came up clean. Although no other AV/AM has ever come up with a detection for the aforementioned file. Nor have I had any ads show up anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users