Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install XP, screen goes black/blank after loading drivers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 draqen4

draqen4

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

I've got an old XP Pentium 4 machine that i can't seem to install either XP or 7 onto.

When trying XP, the setup program loads the drivers and then the screen goes black and never recovers.

When trying to install 7, after selecting my language it pops up an error saying "windows could not receive information about the disks" and then kicks me back to the first setup screen.

I did some googling and people said try to wipe out all of the partitions on the drives, so i did that using minitool partition wizard and made a single NTFS partition on each of the drives (they're IDE ones) but it hasn't made any difference. Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by draqen4, 30 September 2017 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Detach one of the drives...try to install with just a single drive attached.  No point in having more than one and it minimizes possible confusion during the install process.

Louis

#3 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

No luck, still black with either drive plugged in. I also tried having no drives plugged in, but that also still goes black

Edited by draqen4, 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

Hard drive could be failing please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer. Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test

4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:21 AM

I've scanned both drives and both have passed

Edited by draqen4, 01 October 2017 - 04:21 AM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

Reset BIOS setting to its default factory settings. 

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Do you have valid/legal install media and licenses?

Since this is the XP forum...let's confine ourselves to trying to figure out what's going wrong with your attempt to install it.

Louis

#8 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Yes I'm using the holographic golden xp home disc. I've tried resetting the bios. Just had an interesting development though. I rechecked the disc's and one failed after exactly an hour: https://i.imgur.com/YK9p713.jpg then I booted into the bios and the drive reported had a corrupt name. https://i.imgur.com/NQbdrUO.jpg then it started hanging on the full screen bios logo.
I swapped what ide ports the devices were plugged into and now it's reporting okay in the bios again https://i.imgur.com/hWbbEV7.jpg I ran a disk check that reported its okay. But still no luck with installing windows. Could the motherboard be failing or something?

Edited by draqen4, 02 October 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

As a test download the XP iso from the first link in this post. Burn using isoburner and set it to no faster than 4x write. Does it install?

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

Since these are IDE drives how are they jumpered? Make sure to set them to master and slave instead of cable select.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Since these are IDE drives how are they jumpered? Make sure to set them to master and slave instead of cable select.

They were cable select, i just changed it to be master/slave instead but no difference.

As a test download the XP iso from the first link in this post. Burn using isoburner and set it to no faster than 4x write. Does it install?

No luck, still the same black screen.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,245 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Do you still get a black screen using this linux Mint Xfce iso file?

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=193

Do the IDE drives use 80 wire IDE cables or 40 wire? If 40 wire change to 80 wire

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

#13 draqen4

draqen4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

It boots that linux Mint iso fine. It booted to the linux desktop and I could run apps.

The drives i think are using 80 pin cables? I'm using these which are brand new: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-IDE-Data-Cable-40-Pin-for-HDD-DVD-ATA-100-133-X-2-CABLES-47cm/141937387009?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by draqen4, 03 October 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Specific manufacturer and model of this system?  You haven't been very descriptive of such and therein may lie the problem that seemingly exists with your install media and the system.

How much RAM is installed?

Louis

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,245 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

It boots that linux Mint iso fine. It booted to the linux desktop and I could run apps.

The drives i think are using 80 pin cables? I'm using these which are brand new: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-IDE-Data-Cable-40-Pin-for-HDD-DVD-ATA-100-133-X-2-CABLES-47cm/141937387009?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Those are 80 wire. Because of the fact linux can boot I think the problem is driver related, possibly the driver for your drive controller. When you booted linux were you able to access the drive itself?

Open a terminal and type

fdisk -l          all in lower case and -l is a lower case "L", not a one. You should see a listing of sda.

As Luis posted, providing a make and model of the computer would help and a model number of the motherboard itself would be better.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 October 2017 - 07:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users