I'm having a problem with an older desktop, dell inspiron 546, where the computer will turn on but there is no display at all on the monitor. This very well could be my fault but not sure how to resolve. I had a video card on it that I had used previously with the desktop with no issue. I want to remove the card and just use the onboard HDMI port. I booted into the bios and changed the settings. I basically had 2 options, use on board or use default. I selected on board and since then the display is gone.
- The computer will power on with no beeps
- The power button is white, not amber
- I only have hdmi from the on board port to the monitor
- The monitor works perfectly fine on another computer
- I did get the monitor once to come on but there was no display, now no matter what, the monitor stays in energy save
- When I turn on pc, the monitor stays in energy save mode with an amber power button
- I have disconnected the dvd and hard drive
- i powered it off, pulled the power plug, held down power button until no more residual power was left, pulled the cmos battery for 2-3 mins, put it back in, plugged in power and no change
- I had tried putting the video card back in and using that and no change
- I don't think there is anything wrong with the hard ware, but that the bios is messed up some how but can't seem to fix it
I don't know what else to try at the moment. I was/am attempting to rebuild it, so there's nothing at all on the hard drive. I'm just trying to get something on the screen. I don't even see the dell splash screen, nothing. Any ideas, help, solutions would be extremely welcome.