Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display when computer powers on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

I'm having a problem with an older desktop, dell inspiron 546, where the computer will turn on but there is no display at all on the monitor. This very well could be my fault but not sure how to resolve. I had a video card on it that I had used previously with the desktop with no issue. I want to remove the card and just use the onboard HDMI port. I booted into the bios and changed the settings. I basically had 2 options, use on board or use default. I selected on board and since then the display is gone. 

- The computer will power on with no beeps

- The power button is white, not amber

- I only have hdmi from the on board port to the monitor

- The monitor works perfectly fine on another computer

- I did get the monitor once to come on but there was no display, now no matter what, the monitor stays in energy save

- When I turn on pc, the monitor stays in energy save mode with an amber power button

- I have disconnected the dvd and hard drive

- i powered it off, pulled the power plug, held down power button until no more residual power was left, pulled the cmos battery for 2-3 mins, put it back in, plugged in power and no change

- I had tried putting the video card back in and using that and no change

- I don't think there is anything wrong with the hard ware, but that the bios is messed up some how but can't seem to fix it

I don't know what else to try at the moment. I was/am attempting to rebuild it, so there's nothing at all on the hard drive. I'm just trying to get something on the screen. I don't even see the dell splash screen, nothing. Any ideas, help, solutions would be extremely welcome. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

Per the service manual, use the jumper to clear CMOS. After clearing CMOS connect to your video card and see if you get something on the screen.

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Removing the CMOS battery should have fixed the problem as PCI is the default for Video. The above is just a hunch but I don't think it will work.

Pulling the drive should have given access to the BIOS. If you hold a key down at boot it may throw a bios error and give you access.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2017 - 02:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users