Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINWORD.EXE - Application Error: (0xc0000142), No audio output device installed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scottlovett

scottlovett

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

Greetings all!

I posted this in the Windows 10 Forum but got zero responses so I'll see if I can get some help here.

On Sunday 9-24-17 I tried to listen to the Miami Dolphins via the internet by surfing to a Miami radio station website which I have done successfully in the past. I ran into several problems: when I clicked the listen now button, the thing wouldn't load and I eventually got a 'streaming error.' I went to a different station and was required to use a plug-in (I tried 2 different ones) but neither worked properly. Google chrome kept telling me the plug in wasn't working so I went into Google settings and allowed the 2 players and downloaded the Adobe Flash player as well.

FYI: I recently activated Norton Utilities 15 but came to realize that I really didn't know what I was doing w/ that and might have done smtg wrong there.

Now I can't open Word or any of my saved documents {WINWORD.EXE - Application Error: (0xc0000142)}; the speaker icon in the system tray has a red X and says "No audio output device installed" and I can't access the Settings and many other of the quick links in the Windows Start section. I can use Google Chrome to access the internet but can't listen to anything.

What did I do to my Bleeping Computer!?!?!?!

I look forward to hearing what y'all think! Thanks!

PC info:

• Operating System
    Windows home 10, 64 bit
  • Antivirus Software
    Norton
  • Firewall
    Windows
  • Computer
    HP Pavilion Notebook PC
  • CPU
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • Motherboard
    BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
  • Ram
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Have you done any scans for malware?

If not, please try a couple of these free scans:
Could you be infected?  It's possible that malware has corrupted your current protection, so please try a couple of these, independent scans (from this link: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA15-286A ).  This is in case your current protection is compromised by malware and giving false results:

F-Secure
           https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/online-scanner (link is external)

McAfee
           http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx (link is external)

Microsoft
           http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx (link is external)

Sophos
           https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/virus-removal-tool.aspx (link is external)

Trend Micro
           http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (link is external)

The above are examples only and do not constitute an exhaustive list. The U.S. Government does not endorse or support any particular product or vendor.

If you do find infections, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum to ensure that all the bad stuff has been removed:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

Also, could you go to System Restore and check to see if there are any restore points from before this problem started.

Do this after the anti-malware scans (as doing it before is futile if the system is infected)
If so, try restoring to them and see if that helps.

Edited by usasma, 30 September 2017 - 12:47 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

Hey Man! Thanks for the info! I am not infected and Im pretty sure problem stems from lack of familiarity w/ Norton Utilities or the attempt to listen to radio...

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Not a problem, we'll just continue with the troubleshooting until we figure out what's up.

Have you tried togo to System Restore and check to see if there are any restore points from before this problem started.

If so, try restoring to a point before the problem started and see if that helps.

Beyond that, you can try to uninstall Word/Office, then download and install a fresh copy.

As for the red X in the system tray, restart the system and then please generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504
The Event ID 41 error is simply Windows saying that it doesn't know why it shutdown.

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php )
[/quote]

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:49 PM

Hi John!

Norton left me hangin' saying it isn't they're fault AND left my PC in Safe Mode. When I clik on the link for the Report Set 1, I get a new tab that says "Error establishing a database connection."

Whenever I try to use Windows Settings I can usually make a few clicks but it always eventually just closes by itself before getting me where I was going.

I don't know where to find the Run dialog or Event Viewer.

So I used the alternate tool which downloaded and ran but when finished says "Generating the DXDIAG Report"  and then nothing happens.

I ran it again and it stopped and I got a small pop-up window that says "BSODInspector has stopped working correctly. Windows will notify me if a solution is available."

(I have been seeing that one a lot during this troubled time.)

Here is what I was able to copy from the BSODInsector:

"####################################

BSOD Inspector
####################################

Created By - blueelvis
Special Thanks - John D. Carrona (Microsoft MVP)
10/3/2017 10:34:18 PM    - Deleted Existing Temporary Files
10/3/2017 10:34:18 PM    - Started Collecting the MSINFO32 Report
10/3/2017 10:34:18 PM    - Copying Dump files if any
10/3/2017 10:34:18 PM    - Querying System for Drivers
10/3/2017 10:34:18 PM    - Generating MSINFO32 Report
10/3/2017 10:34:19 PM
         - Generating the DXDIAG Report
10/3/2017 10:34:22 PM    - Generating System Event Log
10/3/2017 10:34:23 PM    - Generating Application Event Log
10/3/2017 10:34:23 PM    - Processing the HOSTS file
10/3/2017 10:34:23 PM    - Generating detailed list of installed Windows Updates
No Instance(s) Available.
10/3/2017 10:34:24 PM    - Generating SystemInfo
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Exporting x86 Uninstall Registry
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Generating Tasklist
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Generating List of Currently Active Services
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Generating List of All Services
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Exporting Uninstall Registry
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Collecting Miscellaneous Data
10/3/2017 10:34:26 PM    - Collecting List of Programs Installed On The System
10/3/2017 10:34:27 PM    - Generating Inspector Log File
Unhandled Exception: System.Management.ManagementException: Provider load failure
   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectCollection.ManagementObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
   at BSODInspector.Program.Main()"

I am more than willing to try anything you suggest BUT I just started a new job that doesn't leave me much time during the week so please be patient.

I appreciate all you have done for me John!
Thank you!

Sincerely,
Scott in Charlotte

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

Norton is only concerned if it's their problem - if not, they won't troubleshoot it unless you pay for it (and maybe not even then).

Could you please reduce the size of your font?  I use a huge screen and a very enlarged font on my system - so when it renders your font on my system it's so huge as to be difficult to read.

Thanks!

To access the Run dialog, press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.

It'll bring up a box in the lower left

To run Event Viewer, type "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) into the Run dialog's box and press Enter

Once in Event Viewer, expand the "Custom Events" category and right click on the Administrative Events

Click on Save all events in Custom view as... and save it as Admin.evtx
zip that up with the other reports and upload them with your next post.

Here's the other reports that I'd like to see - and you can generate these reports manually also.

Although you're not reporting BSOD's, I've asked you to check for them just in case there are any on your system:

Upload Dump Files:
NOTE:  If using a disk cleaning utility, please stop using it while we are troubleshooting your issues.
Please go to C:\Windows\Minidump and zip up the contents of the folder.  Then upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Left click on the first minidump file.
Hold down the "Shift" key and left click on the last minidump file.
Right click on the blue highlighted area and select "Send to"
Select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and note where the folder is saved.
Upload that .zip file with your next post.

If you have issues with "Access Denied" errors, try copying the files to your desktop and zipping them up from there.  If it still won't let you zip them up, post back for further advice.

If you don't have anything in that folder, please check in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.DMP.  If you find it, zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service.  Then post the link to it in your topic so that we can download it.

Also, search your entire hard drive for files ending in .dmp, .mdmp, and .hdmp.  Zip up any that you find and upload them with your next post.

Then, follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file):  http://www.carrona.org/setmini.html
More info on dump file options here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).

If you're having difficulties with the format, please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "msinfo32 /nfo %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\TEST.NFO" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the TEST.NFO file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.

systeminfo:
Please open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt and type (or copy/paste) "systeminfo.exe >%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt" (without the quotes) and press Enter.  Then navigate to Desktop to retrieve the syteminfo.txt file.  If you have difficulties with making this work, please post back.  Then zip up the .txt file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
NOTE:    Will not work with Windows XP

EDIT:  Don't worry about the time.  I get an email when you reply, so I'll just wait for the email to come in.

Edited by usasma, 04 October 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#7 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Norton is only concerned if it's their problem - if not, they won't troubleshoot it unless you pay for it (and maybe not even then).

LoL: yeah, I was trying to make them feel like I had made some changes using their Utilities program: they did connect remotely and poke around a bit but w/ no solution to any of the issues I am having. It may be true that I screwed smtg up w/ Utilities but they seem to think not.

Could you please reduce the size of your font?  I use a huge screen and a very enlarged font on my system - so when it renders your font on my system it's so huge as to be difficult to read.

Thanks!

Sorry about that: I was trying to be helpful.

When I try to run the event viewer I get a pop-up from Microsoft Management Console: Class not registered.

I could not find any kind of dump files.

Here is the System Info:

(I couldn't save it like you asked or any other way.)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SCOTTSPC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU E0M61UA#ABA
Processor Intel® Core™ i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2395 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.21, 12/4/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 95.50
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.502"
User Name SCOTTSPC\Scott
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.29 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.64 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.20 GB
Page File Space 768 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Thanks again for your assistance John, I hope this helps...

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:17 AM

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling Office?

You've got a lot of problems with this system.

Have you run the HP diagnostics?
If not, tap the ESC key repeatedly as you first boot up.  It'll offer some options - as I recall F2 is the option for the HP diagnostics.

If they all pass, then:

- visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates

- visit the HP support website for your model, and update ALL of the drivers there (to include your BIOS)

- then open up appwiz.cpl and start updating all the other stuff that you have installed on the computer.

If unable to get to appwiz.cpl, open up Settings, then open up Apps.

Make the Apps screen very big, then check on the left side for a link to "Programs and Features"

If that still doesn't work, then check the Apps and check your Start Menu to find programs that can be updated.

Once all that's done, if it doesn't help, then I'll suggest moving on to these repairs:

NOTE:  Try a clean boot to see if the problem clears up that way:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows
If it does, then different troubleshooting steps are called for.

Here's some repair/recovery/restore options (in this order).   Be sure to backup your stuff if you don't want to take the chance of losing it.:

1 - Startup Repair.  Run it 3 times, rebooting in between tries.

2 - System Restore to a point before this started happening.

3 - DISM/SFC repair (DISM doesn't work with W7, although SFC does)  - doesn't work if you're not able to boot to Windows (let me know and I'll post a way to do it from Startup Repair)

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after typing it:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption. Include the CBS log (located at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) if you'd like to have a Windows Update expert check it (I don't check them because I can't read them)

4 - RESET using the "Keep My Files" option (W8 calls this a REFRESH; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

5 - Repair install of the OS (Thanks to FreeBooter!):

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Windows 8, 8.1 and 10"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html

"How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

"How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista"
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

"Non-destructive reinstall of Windows XP"
    https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-xp.html

6 - RESET using the "Remove Everything" option (W8 calls this a RESET; W7 and earlier doesn't have this function)

If using W7 or earlier, this can be accomplished by resetting the system by use of the recovery partition/recovery disks/recovery drive.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )

7 - Wipe and reinstall from the Recovery Partition (if so equipped)

8 - Wipe and reinstall from Recovery Media - to include deleting all partitions.
If you don't have them, you can usually order them from the OEM manufacturer of your system ( US points of contact here:  http://www.carrona.org/recdisc.html )
  You can also download W7/8.1/10 from Microsoft starting on this page:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/

9 - A clean install of Windows.  This is a troubleshooting tool - and as such is slightly different from the previous steps.  In short, if it fixes the problem, then the problem was in the software.  If it doesn't fix the problem, then the problem is most likely in the hardware.

A clean install is:
- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

If unable to find recovery media that has the software (or if you suspect that this is a hardware problem), you can make an image of your system that'll preserve everything in the state that it was in when you made the image.
One drawback to this is that you're making an image of a malfunctioning system - so, if there are errors in the system software, you'll have a nice copy of them :(
Another drawback is that the image of the system will be very large - so you'll most likely need a large external drive to store it on.
But, this will allow you to save everything on the hard drive (although you'll need an image viewer to get things out of the image).
The point here is that, if it's a hardware problem, then you can restore the system to the point it was when you made the image - after you repair the hardware problem.
You can obtain more info on imaging in the Backup/Imaging/DiskMgmt forums located here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

The point of doing this (the clean install) is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

Edited by usasma, 05 October 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#9 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

Thanks John, I won't get to all that until this weekend and at that point I will send you an update. Thank you again for all the time and effort. Scott

#10 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hey John! 

Hope this finds you well!

Thanks again for your assistance!

I got Microsoft to assist last weekend and they got Windows 10 re-installed so the navigation & audio bugs are fixed but I still can't open my docs so now I'll try to re-install Office and see if that works. 

Tho it sounds corny, your selfless efforts to assist me go a long way to redeeming my belief that humans are basically well-meaning creatures and that there is still hope for us yet. I wish there were some way I could return the favor.

I'll let you know what develops w/ Office...

Cheers,

Scott

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

Repayment isn't necessary, but if you'd like - just pay it forward.

Help someone (not just computer stuff) for no reason at all - that's all the payment that I ask!

Good luck!

#12 scottlovett

scottlovett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

Will do John!

More good news: I just successfully opened, changed and saved an existing Word doc & IT WORKED!!

Knock on wood, seems I'm back to normal!

Thanks again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users