Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crashed computer I did it and here is how.....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ntoolate

ntoolate

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

This computer belongs to another family member and honestly I am not sure if this Dell Inspiron Series 3000 laptop (4 years old) had windows 10 or 8, but I think 10.

I was trying to "help" them to move pics from their Samsung Galaxy s3 to the laptop.   Everything was going rosy.  Pictures flying off the smartphone to the laptop.   Once  the pics start being moved, you know the dialogue box with the green progress line keeps telling you how long it is going to take.  At first it said an hour and half.  then, as it progressed, it said 6 hours and half.

Well, we did not have that long.  So I hit the cancel button on the transfer dialogue image.   The screen went hazy, smoky white which I have seen before when there was some conflict.  The program said "not responding" at top of menu bar.

We were in a hurry.  I did not think to bring up task manager and close. Cursor did not move.   Instead, I pushed and held the start/off button.    The computer did not like at all what I did.  It did turn off.

Now, it will not load windows.   A Dell symbol might come up, but no further.  Never gets to a sign in screen.    It did once, but no cursor.

This model has no built in drive. 

So, just checking in to see what the "what ifs" and "might try" routines are.     Is there a downloadable boot  thing I can download to a flash drive.   I would like to try to get It into safe mode. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

During boot start pressing F2 see if you can access the Boot menu and from there the Diagnostic tools to run some checks it could be an Hardware problem...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ntoolate

ntoolate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Thanks.  Will try the F2.  BTW.   I think I meant to place this post in the one above it about crashes, BSOD, etc..

Will let you know.  

#4 ntoolate

ntoolate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:57 PM

follow up question to your assistance.

The F2 key did bring up a diagnostic and recovery system.

It said that it would attempt to repair and if that failed , it  would then seek to reset the system which would require saving anything wanted.

OK.  That recovery began hours ago and it is still "initiating and analyzing file".  

Just wondering if it is normal for it to run for 5 hours or more?  Or has this computer lost its way and just can't think its way through the maze?

I am prepared to leave it on over night just in case, but just wondered if this process can be that long...in your experience.

Thanks

Chuck

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:35 AM

Hi Chuck,

I suspect you initiated a Factory Restore! and this could take several hours specially if there is something wrong with the machine...

Usually Dell machines have some diagnostic tools included to check the hardware (not Windows) I don't think you found/use that option.

Can you post the Dell Service Tag of the machine please.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users