Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't load windows, all repair/reset options fail

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hello,

I am operating a windows 10 system. It has been stable for the last few months and all of a sudden randomly, it glitches out and will not start windows anymore. I have tried to start up repair, resetting the PC as in reinstalling windows, system restore, scan disk, CHKDSK. None of them seem to work or complete their function. Further, I noticed my C: has now turned into the X:.

The error I get for system restore is 0X80070057.

I've never had this problem happened before, all of my files are still there when I go into command prompt. If you have any other suggestions that I may have missed I would welcome them thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:23 AM

Try to check disk again, now I get this error "failed to transfer log messages to the event log with status 50." I have no idea what that cryptic message means.
Try to check disk again, now I get this error "failed to transfer log messages to the event log with status 50." I have no idea what that cryptic message means.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

I wouldn't be running a chkdsk at this point. I would concentrate on getting your personal files off the computer and on to a USB external hard drive then do a complete clean install. 

Was the computer pre-installed with Windows 10 or was it an upgrade. If upgrade, what OS? 

#4 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Upgrade from windows seven. It finally let me enter a password to do a "reset my PC "function in which it reinstall windows but keeps my files.

Will let you know momentarily if that works. Do you have any fathomable reason that this is happening?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Not a clue but it may have resulted from a borked Windows 10 update. 

#6 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

Nope, windows continues to remain an absolute garbage system will have to try a clean install and then switch to a Linux based system.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

You should be able to pull the data with a live linux disk. I don't know how much experience with linux you have. For people moving form Windows Mint Cinnamon is a good choice. You can boot the live dvd or USB flash drive to determine how compatible the computer is with Mint. Sometimes a tweak is necessary for some Wifi chipsets. 

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

#8 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Ok somehow, and for no real clear reason I am able to lead a disk image from last week...after this restores I will try that.

I've used knoppix Linux to save data before, so hopefullly it doesn't come to that.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Your disc drive could be failing and/or the boot sector is hosed.

I'd backup my user data immediately and then use Seagate's SeaTools to check the drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

Luckily, it managed to get to restore from system image.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

You may want to run Seatools for Windows to check the health of the drive as Brian.

#12 yyzcygnus

yyzcygnus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

I will run Seatools and report back, thank you all for the prompt responses and recommendations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users