Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop can't upgrade from windows 8.1 to 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

A few months ago I asked a question about my Lenovo laptop with a broken screen(linked here:https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/645770/cant-access-bios-on-external-monitor/). I am now trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 10. I went through the first half as normal, and then once I allowed it to reboot, the screen external monitor stopped working. After waiting a couple of hours, I decided it was not working, so I hard shutted it down, then rebooted back into 8.1. What I am wondering is if there is a way to force the monitor to display the second half of the windows 10 install... or if I stuck with 8.1(Which I consider to be pretty awful.

Thanks ahead of time,  :bananas:

specs:

•  Lenovo IdeaPad P500

I5-3230M CPU @ 2.60 GHz

6 GB RAM (5.86 usable)

Intel Graphics 4000

64 bit OS/ x64 based processor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 k45hish

k45hish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

Im not an expert by any means .... but i think you might have installed 2 operating systems ... so the laptop might have dual boot and the default os to boot in might be win 8 .... so go into bios and switch it to win 10 .... that maybe the problem....not sure 

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

You should do a clean install of Windows 10 on that little system, it is going to be easier and better in the long run.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If you have any questions along the way, we can help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

that would make sense, but In the linked post, I said that it is impossible for me to reach bios, because of the monitor issue. I would think that there would be more steps before it installs... so I don't think it is even on the pc.

#5 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

I won't be able to fresh install, as I can't reach the boot menu or bios, due to the external monitor. Thanks anyways (:

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,930 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:53 AM

I won't be able to fresh install, as I can't reach the boot menu or bios, due to the external monitor. Thanks anyways (:

That should not be an issue at all. Once you plug in your installation media, your computer should recognize it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Yes, but my monitor won't be able to display the gui... only my os will display.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,281 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

Rocky,

Unless the bootable media is in the boot order ahead of the HDD it won't be booted from anyway.  Which is a problem.  I have never tried simply double clicking on setup.exe on the bootable media for Windows 10 when I wasn't already using a machine with Windows 10 (which works perfectly if you're doing a major feature update/upgrade) but it might work on a Windows 8.1 box as well.

Another issue will be having a license key for Windows 10 (if the OP does not already have one).  You can't upgrade for free anymore (unless Windows 10 was once already installed and activated on that machine and someone decided to roll back to an earlier version of Windows after that).

What I can't really understand is why, if one intends to keep a laptop that's had a screen failure, one would not replace that screen as job one and do everything else after that.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Rocky,

Unless the bootable media is in the boot order ahead of the HDD it won't be booted from anyway.  Which is a problem.  I have never tried simply double clicking on setup.exe on the bootable media for Windows 10 when I wasn't already using a machine with Windows 10 (which works perfectly if you're doing a major feature update/upgrade) but it might work on a Windows 8.1 box as well.

Another issue will be having a license key for Windows 10 (if the OP does not already have one).  You can't upgrade for free anymore (unless Windows 10 was once already installed and activated on that machine and someone decided to roll back to an earlier version of Windows after that).

What I can't really understand is why, if one intends to keep a laptop that's had a screen failure, one would not replace that screen as job one and do everything else after that.

I haven't replaced the screen yet, because I use it as if it a desktop. I have a bunch of other laptops, so have decided there is little to no use for the screen.  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Are you using the bootable media? I don't think this will allow for a free upgrade at this time but I may be wrong. When launching the Media Creation Tool on your 8.1 computer their is the option to Upgrade this PC now. Is this what you are using?

Windows-10-setup-choose-upgrade-this-PC-

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#11 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I am using the free accessibility dowload (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade). It is just an extension of the free upgrade. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:05 AM

I would try the upgrade from within Windows using the Upgrade this PC option of the Media Creation Tool. This may get you farther. But...

Before doing this I would create a complete disk image to a USB external drive first. Software that can do this is Macrium Free, Aomei Backupper, and Easeus Todo Backup Free. If things go wrong you can restore the image. Make sure you create the bootable media each program offers. This would let you restore the image if the computer no longer boots correctly.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I agree with John, it was not even apparent (to me) exactly what you were doing, this should allow you to Upgrade, and hopefully the External Monitor won't hold you back from doing so.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

I hope so, Thanks all... I will keep my progress updated.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

"Clean Install Windows Directly from the Hard Disk Drive"
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619313/clean-install-windows-directly-from-the-hard-disk-drive/

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users