Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe_25

Joe_25

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:59 AM

I was wondering  anyones views on the real need for an AntiVirus in windows 10 as a Home User.

I have used Avast in the past, but together with Windows 10 found I was getting a severe amount  of intrusive Ads movie type half the screen an even covering the whole screen at times.

I tried, like another forum member suggested using Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall alone.

But for a while I wanted to try Bitdefender as it is supposed to be good and also lightweight on the system that is my requirement.

I was wondering when I downloaded Bitdefender Free it stopped the Windows Defender from being used ,but the windows firewall IS working.

So with Bitdefender free version does the protection shield deal with Malware in real time? And is it enough? Or do I need a good free spyware ( Malware) programme to add to protection(not a free trial) .Or would most agree that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall could be just as good option.

Thank -you for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free". See this discussion topic which explains why.

However, Windows Defender is not enough...meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or can't afford to pay for an alternative, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition any of which can be used instead of or in conjunction with Windows 10 Anniversary update, Windows 10 Creators Update and Windows Defender Antivirus..

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance.

For more suggestions read.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

If you have two (or more) antivirus installed this can and usually does create conflicts.  For this reason Microsoft designed Windows Defender to disable itself when another antivirus is installed.

As quietman7 pointed out, you should have a antimalware program installed.  There are two types, one must be run as a scan, the other is active which runs while the computer is on.  The active version runs all the time the computer is on.  The other version requires scans to be run manually.  Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of the popular programs, both versions are available from there.

As for popup ads, most browsers have add-ons, these offer a variety of extensions.  Most of these browsers offer a ad-blocker.  If you post which browser you are using I will provide you with information regarding these add-ons.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

These days I suggest that anyone who's thinking about any third-party antivirus take a careful look at the current (and I mean like in the last few months current) AV test results from sites such as https://www.av-comparatives.org/ and similar to see how paid commercial products are stacking up against each other and Windows Defender.  I shall simply say that Windows Defender as currently implemented under Windows 8/10 stacks up very well against all the paid products.

With the advent of the Fall Creators Update (Version 1709) which is very soon to be here Windows Defender is going to be beefed up quite a bit more in terms of malware scanning and dealing with exploits, among other things.

I will openly state that my advice to clients these days is to use Windows Defender with confidence.   It's ease of use is unparalleled and it's about as "set it and forget it" as one can get but it does a good job of protecting you and notifying you if it detects something.

Antivirus and security suite programs, at their best, do their jobs well but completely unobtrusively when doing them other than to let you know if something untoward was detected and, if so, the disposition of the detected item(s).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Joe_25

Joe_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

If you have two (or more) antivirus installed this can and usually does create conflicts.  For this reason Microsoft designed Windows Defender to disable itself when another antivirus is installed.

As quietman7 pointed out, you should have a antimalware program installed.  There are two types, one must be run as a scan, the other is active which runs while the computer is on.  The active version runs all the time the computer is on.  The other version requires scans to be run manually.  Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of the popular programs, both versions are available from there.

As for popup ads, most browsers have add-ons, these offer a variety of extensions.  Most of these browsers offer a ad-blocker.  If you post which browser you are using I will provide you with information regarding these add-ons.

Thank you dc3
thats all interesting info and of course very helpful to me thanks ,i am using Windows Edge 10 browser i used to use
Firefox but it was taking up alot of resourses on my old Athlon 64 3000 .So i got a refurbished Desktop Intel 3220
and Dell .But have a much better browsing experience now except for those ADS!
I would grateful for your advice on this.

#6 Joe_25

Joe_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. The key word being "free". See this discussion topic which explains why.
However, Windows Defender is not enough...meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

If you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or can't afford to pay for an alternative, then I would recommend Kaspersky Free Antivirus, Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition any of which can be used instead of or in conjunction with Windows 10 Anniversary update, Windows 10 Creators Update and Windows Defender Antivirus..

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance.
For more suggestions read.
Thank you very much quietman7 for all the advice an explaining things which is great and also thanks for all the included links to help me to make a decision.Just the info i need too.Thanks for your time in helping me.

#7 Joe_25

Joe_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:28 PM

hi britechguy
thank you for all your helpful advice that is an interesting anti virus comparitive website.
Thanks for taking the time to advise me in your helpful reply.

#8 Joe_25

Joe_25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Apologies for using the quote in replies i will stick to the reply at the bottom of the site
as i wasn't sure how to connect each reply for each person!

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

Apologies for using the quote in replies i will stick to the reply at the bottom of the site
as i wasn't sure how to connect each reply for each person!

No need to apologize. Quoting and responding specifically to each individual who provided a reply was fine.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users