Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Teenagers......

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 danahan

danahan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:37 PM

......any one heard this one from your kids......
Every time I have problems with my computer, it's usually because I let my kids on the internet for extended periods of time. Even though I used restricted accounts and set it up so that they were not able to download anything, or so I thought, MY COMPUTER IS SCREWED UP EVERY TIME I LET THEM USE IT!!!!! Sorry I needed to get that out of my system. After finding this site, well, yesterday, I got some good advice and did some digging around with all the info that this site offers, and I know I haven't even scratched the surface of what this site offers, my computer is running like it just came out of the box. Kudo's to all who put this site together, I will recommend it to all my computer friends.......

p.s. my kids no longer have accounts or access to my computer.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:47 PM

Well, even though i'm still a teenager for 3 more months, i'd have to agree with you.

In general, teens that aren't as "computer savvy"....... did i just say savvy?..... usually do mess up the computer in some way. A lot of common "teen" sites are loaded w/ spyware and adware. They download things without thinking, and usually end up corrupting some files. I know, before i started being more careful, i did the same things :D (not on purpose, of course).

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 19 September 2006 - 05:48 PM.

#3 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:02 AM

hi, danahan,

best thing to do, if you can afford, is get the kids their own computer, and if they 'muck' it up, make them spend the time doing the repairs, this way they'll quickly learn about the pitfalls, and realise not to do 'whatever' again, plus they'll be learning useful stuff for the future - maybe one day they'll fix your computer! lol!

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:52 AM

That's a really good idea rubiconeye.

Something old and slow which will really motivate the kids to earn their pocket money for upgrading. Lots of great 'life's little lessons' to be learned quickly here.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:38 PM

Another view is to make computer use (yours or their own) dependent on learning computer security best practices. Unfortunately, it is not only teenagers who are all-too-trusting, but many older people as well, especially when they first taste the internet.
Print out some of the relevant Tutorials here at BC,and encourage your children to read them; even test them---in a casual discussion---about what they have read. If you read a news item discussing malware or computer common sense, be sure they read it, too.
Make sure they understand how to use and keep updated, many of the common security applications, excercise care in E-mail handling, and research before downloading fun/happy add-ons from unknown sites.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 _celestialblues_

_celestialblues_

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

Haha, i've always figured it was the other way around. I'm still gonna be a teen for quite few more years, and it seems that other kids of my generation kinda have an advantage when it comes to technology because they've grown up with it. Anywho, i agree with jgweed.

#7 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

Yes, I do that. I guess it's true. But I didn't do it! The hard drive was already messed up when my dad bought the computer. So really it's not my fault it's slow. He shouldn't have put all the music on here. But nooo and he uses Internet Explorer.
He blames everything on me.
I have my own pc but my dad had to get the cheapest one that doesn't even work. So slow.
I just learn to make up excuses now.
Posted Image

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

My parents almost never use the computer... and now that I have my own my brother is the only one that uses the other computer now and finaly realises what he has been doing to it.... He would load it up with crappy game demos and stuff and then I would have to spend all my computer time fixing it, uninstalling the crap, running the anti-virus everynight and getting rid of about 50 every night...

Now I got my own computer and it runs so well and now the other one is falling a part and I have basically said Not my problem anymore. I know it sounds mean but I let my parents check their e-mail on my computer and my mom look at recipes (using firefox of course) and it's just hilarious watching my brother trying to play games on that thing when the internet is running like dial-up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users