Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable_boot_volume

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bre S

Bre S

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

Ok so when I start up two of our computers we are getting the same exact message....

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

With the blue screen of death!!! Its pertinent that I get into both computers to save data and I cant install a parallel system on either one. Is there anything that I can do to get the computer open so that I can save the information already on the computer???

Please help!

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:48 PM

Please give us the entire error message.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

That means your hard drive is on its last leg and needs to be replaced. If your lucky enough to get back into Windows once more you need to backup your files, otherwise your pretty much out of luck.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

It would be unusual but not impossible for two computers to have hard drives failing at exactly the same time.

Have you had a power failure recently when the computers were on?

#5 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

It would be unusual but not impossible for two computers to have hard drives failing at exactly the same time.

Stranger things have happened.

#6 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:28 AM

hi, Bre S,

go into bios, check that respective hard drives are recognized there, 'probably primary master' if so, change boot sequence to boot from cd first, put xp disc in drive and reboot, choose the option to enter the 'recovery console' and use the fixboot, fixmbr, commands, then try and boot windows again.

if that fails, download diagnostics from respective harddrive manufacturers and run them to check.

good luck

Edited by rubiconeye, 20 September 2006 - 05:29 AM.

#7 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

The message is as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is poperly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x81321BB8, 0xc000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

<END OF MESSAGE>

Now the screen continues to open, even when i try to start in safemode. Nothing new was installed and it just started doing this. I cant get into the computer in safemode because the screen comes up again.

Help? Thanks guys!

#8 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:55 PM

I have not had a power failure recently. Its funny because it is my best friends computer and my parents computers that are doing this. Both of them were actually in different cities and about an hour and a half away from eachother and they are both doing the same thing :thumbsup:

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP

Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403&sd=RMVP

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xed

#10 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Do you have Windows XP SP2? If you do, cahnces are the problem is not the second thing Enthusiast listed above, as the resolution to that problem is to upgrade to SP2.

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

One of the resolutions posted in the MS Knowledgebase article is to download the latest service pack from Microsoft, so how would you justify stating the second link didn't apply, especially when it is specific to the error message?
It's simple enough to try to run the check disk the article calls for.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 September 2006 - 11:10 PM.

#12 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:32 AM

Hm... two computers, people you know same problem... hm, virus possibly? But regardless of that, depending on your model of computer, you should be able to set an active partition, make sure nothing has messed with this, try also to boot with a floppy disk or a cd, and try to get into dos, if you can get into dos, you can most likely save some of your information, however from the sound of it, your boot sector may be messed up or not set correctly.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

As Gyro says - it could be a virus. The UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error means just that - the system couldn't mount the boot volume, and so it can't be accessed.

This occurring as a hardware/driver problem in 2 computers isn't unheard of - but it occurring in 2 that you know of is a stretching the odds a bit (I like working with STOP errors and haven't seen/heard of that many at one time unless it was a virus issue).

When you say you can't get into the computers, does this mean that you can't boot from the installation CD (this is the first step for any installation)? Have you tried to change the boot order in the BIOS and then tried to boot from the CD?

If you're able to boot from the CD, chances are good that you can get in and recover the data fairly easily.

If not, then you're probably left with putting the drive in another computer (one with good, current antivirus definitions) as a slave. Then scan it with the antivirus, then attempt to recover the files from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

#15 Bre S

Bre S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

OK wow. I'm hearing a lot of the same thing and I'm not exactly sure where to go with this. Yes same problem 2 computers i know its odd. Both are dell too, weird.... one is a laptop and the other a desktop. But again they were nowhere near eachother when the problem arose and they were actually in completely different parts of the state.

I just need to be able to get into the computers to save data. I can get into dos but windows itself will not load. Is there any way to get this done. On both of them I tried installing a parallel system, neither will accept it. I'm not sure exactly what to do from here.

Thanks guys

Bre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users