Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Windows 10 from corrupted hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vinnishi

vinnishi

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

UPDATE:

I was able to find the version of Windows that I had purchased a couple years ago:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 64-bit Operating System (PC)

This was upgraded to Windows 10 after a few months, but my only concern is the 'SP1' portion. Does this cause any issues with the suggestions listed below (I'm not sure what this falls under in terms of OEM/Retail)?

Thanks again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody,

Recently due to a few months worth of PC issues, my hard drive has seemed to come to a sudden crash and wont let me login into Windows 10 (Home Edition 64-Bit) anymore. Every-time I launch I get a stop code of: '0xc000021a', or a loop of Windows' 'Automatic Repair' whose recovery/reset options have not been very successful.

I've decided, after trying numerous ways to recover my hard drive, to purchase a new one as I didn't have any important files on my current HDD - just the operating system. But before I purchase this new hard drive, I was curious if there was any way I could transfer Windows 10 over to the new hard drive without actually being logged in. I'm not sure if it was a retail or OEM license, but I'd really like to transfer it however possible so I don't have to spend ~$100 on a new license.

I don't have the full specs of my HDD, but I do know that it has 1TB storage and 7200RPM. This also goes for the new HDD I plan to buy.

Thank you,

vinnishi.

Edited by vinnishi, 29 September 2017 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:31 PM

If this was an upgrade from a previous OS then the license is on Microsoft servers. If Windows 10 came pre-installed on the computer then the key is in firmware. 

Either way you can download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool which will allow you to create a DVD or USB flash drive. When you reach the screen asking for a key click next. I don't believe a HDD change is enough to disable your activation if this was an upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 September 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#3 vinnishi

vinnishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

If this was an upgrade from a previous OS then the license is on Microsoft servers. If the computer came pre-installed on the computer then the key is in firmware. 

Either way you can download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool which will allow you to create a DVD or USB flash drive. When you reach the screen asking for a key click next. I don't believe a HDD change is enough to disable your activation if this was an upgrade.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That sounds good, but the only issue is I don't believe I have the key written down. I know I could find it on my specs page if I logged in, but that's obviously not feasible. Is there a way I can retrieve this key so I can reuse it in the media creation tool?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:46 PM

It doesn't matter how Windows 10 came to be on any machine, provided it is a legal and activated installation, you can always reinstall Windows 10 no matter what OS or OSes might have been installed on the machine subsequently.

OEM licenses are kept by Microsoft servers just like retail ones are.  So long as the motherboard in the machine remains unchanged and you had a activated copy of Windows 10 on the machine at one time you can replace virtually any and every other component of the machine you wish and still reinstall Windows 10 later. 

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 vinnishi

vinnishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Thank you all for the helpful responses.

Just a quick update, I was able to find the version of Windows that I had purchased:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1 64-bit Operating System (PC)

This was upgraded to Windows 10 after a few months, but my only concern is the 'SP1' portion. Does this cause any issues with the suggestions listed below?

Thanks again.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:40 PM

For 100% clarity:   You do not need to reinstall anything related to Windows 7 at all.

1.  Go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page  

2.  Download the Media Creation Tool

3.  Use the Media Creation Tool (MCT) to download the Windows 10 ISO  (I suggest you actually save the ISO file rather than use the MCT to create a bootable USB drive.)

4.  Burn the ISO to optical media (if the machine on which you have the new drive and intend to load Win10 has an optical drive) or use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive.

5. Boot up the machine on which you intend to install Win10 after having placed the device on which you have bootable Win10 media ahead of the HDD in the boot order.  I am presuming you know how to get into UEFI/BIOS to do this.

6.  Follow the instructions in the Windows 10 installer.  You should not be asked for a license/product key.  If you are then just hit next; it will be found automatically for you if the machine previously had a legal copy of Windows 10 running on it.

Edited by britechguy, 29 September 2017 - 11:42 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 vinnishi

vinnishi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:47 PM

For 100% clarity:   You do not need to reinstall anything related to Windows 7 at all.

1.  Go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page  

2.  Download the Media Creation Tool

3.  Use the Media Creation Tool (MCT) to download the Windows 10 ISO  (I suggest you actually save the ISO file rather than use the MCT to create a bootable USB drive.)

4.  Burn the ISO to optical media (if the machine on which you have the new drive and intend to load Win10 has an optical drive) or use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive.

5. Boot up the machine on which you intend to install Win10 after having placed the device on which you have bootable Win10 media ahead of the HDD in the boot order.  I am presuming you know how to get into UEFI/BIOS to do this.

6.  Follow the instructions in the Windows 10 installer.  You should not be asked for a license/product key.  If you are then just hit next; it will be found automatically for you if the machine previously had a legal copy of Windows 10 running on it.

Thank you so much for the in depth instructions, I really appreciate the help. My new HDD will be coming in tomorrow, and I hope this will fix my issue!

Edited by vinnishi, 29 September 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#8 kaushalmalkan11

kaushalmalkan11

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

This article might be just right for you. They have showed how to fix Error 0xc000021a in complete detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users