Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anomalys with the Memory in my PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sniper_x002

Sniper_x002

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

UrHkBQP.png

Problem: Windows is only using half of my RAM. The BIOS also in certain sections only recognizes half of it too, but in others it's fine. Using HWiNFO I can see all 4 sticks of my ram, I just can't figure out why any of this happens.

It hasn't always been this way, but this has been going on for at least half a year now because I can't solve it. From research I've done (to which I never got a conclusion), I think it has something to do with CPU overclocking.

Another issue I have is that the when raising the ram frequency too high (not to it's listed spec) I have to do a bios reset because the PC won't boot. My ram is rated for 3733 or something like that. Help with either issue would be greatly appreciated, though I'm more concerned about how half of the RAM isn't usable.

I have already tried checking msconfig for a memory limit (this wouldn't cause the BIOS to not recognize half of it though I think), and reseating the ram slots in different order, as well as testing each one. They all work. The PC is almost a year old.

Specs

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz

Memory: F4-3733C17-4GTZ (x4 - 16GB in total, only 8GB showing up)

Video: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Gaming OC

Mobo: AsusTeK Z170-WS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

I think it has something to do with CPU overclocking.

Is it corrected if you don't overclock?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Sniper_x002

Sniper_x002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

No

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2017 - 03:04 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users