Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Register Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluetoff

bluetoff

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

I have a laptop that says i must register windows within so many days, but what happens if i dont, will it just not be able to go online or will the laptop stop working altogether.Thanks.( i know i need to buy a new xp disc)
Advertise for free at bikeforsale.co.uk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

It will shut down XP if you do not Activate Windows XP.

Registering by using a name or address is optional but you must activate the system within 30 days.

Activation is required in 30 days from the first day that you start Windows XP. If you want to activate Windows on a day that is later than the day that you install it, a Windows Activation icon appears in the notification area. This icon periodically displays notifications to remind you about how much time remains before you must activate. After the 30 days has expired, you must activate Windows to continue using Windows.

During activation, you can also register your copy of Windows. Product activation is different from product registration because activation is required and registration is optional. If you want to register Windows XP by providing your name, e-mail address, and other contact information, you can also choose to receive information about product updates and other special offers.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 September 2006 - 04:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users