Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adata NH03 2Tb stopped showing up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe86

Joe86

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Hi, everybody and thanks in advance!

So this happened to me recently, I turned on my pc and I wanted to go through my files and delete the useless stuff, but my external hard drive didn't show up.

I tried restarting my pc, check the cable connections, turn on/off... without success. The only option left was to get it out of the case and check it directly. It had a Seagate drive in it, since I have a Vorago HDD docking station, I used it but the drive didn't show up either so then I went to the disk management window and this is what it showed me.

Sin%20tiacutetulo.jpg

As you can see the drive does actually appear in the second half of the window, but it doesn't show up normally with the others. So it looks like it doesn't have a drive letter or path but when I right click for the options, the only ones that are available are "Change Drive letter and paths", "Format", "Delete Volume", "Properties" and "Help". I tried them all except "Format" and "Delete Volume" and this is what happens. (I'm sorry about the quality of the next images... I just took the pictures with my phone...)

WhatsApp%20Image%202017-09-24%20at%2023.

Obviously I did restart the window and then the computer, but the same thing keeps happening. Then I went to the seagate site and downloaded "SeaTools for Windows", used it and this is what it shows.

It doesn't recognize the drive... the next step that I know is to connect the drive directly to the computer as a slave.. but I decided that before I continue doing things on my own, I should ask the experts... so, if you have any idea what is happening please do help me out. I really need the files in the drive since I have a lot of stuff from work in there...

I'm sorry if this is confusing or too long, I hope you can help me. Best regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

I think this drive may have failed. Sometimes a live linux disk will mount a drive where Windows fails. 

Download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD. Boot and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop attach your External docking station.

http://mirror.sysadminguide.net/ubcd/ubcd537.iso

Mount the drive using this guide. If the drive mounts you should be able to access your data. If not I think you will need to use a professional data recovery service but this can be expensive.

Note: If the computer you are booting UBCD from has SecureBoot it needs to be disabled. UEFI needs to be changed to Legacy/CSM boot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:33 PM

Adata makes really poor quality drives, I know because I got a few on a "special deal" and they only lasted a couple of months before they stopped being recognized. Luckily I found that Adata knows this and they do provide a software to recover the drive, but not your data. This software did work on half of my dead drives but it did take more that one attempt to fix these drives

http://www.adata.com/en/ss/usbdiy/

Edited by Joe C, 29 September 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

Adata makes really poor quality drives, I know because I got a few on a "special deal" and they only lasted a couple of months before they stopped being recognized. Luckily I found that Adata knows this and they do provide a software to recover the drive, but not your data. This software did work on half of my dead drives but it did take more that one attempt to fix these drives

http://www.adata.com/en/ss/usbdiy/

That software is for USB flash drives. OP has a HDD.

Edit: Joe86, if Parted Magic cannot mount the drive open a terminal and do a scan of the external drive. Type testdisk, all lower case and do a QuickScan on the external drive. 

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

It will be listed as something like sdb or sdc depending on how many drives are on the computer. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2017 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users