Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Specific On/Off Firewall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thee_Silent

Thee_Silent

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

Current situation: Right now I'm in the Philippines where internet is crap and kinda expensive if you're not careful. I use the internet alot, but I limit my use when I'm out without wifi and using mobile data. (Most places you visit here don't have wifi and even landlines are so rare that even businesses don't have landlines and common data plans only last for 1-3 days so very limited data)

So I need a program that literally blocks everything unless I hit the "On" switch.

So an antivirus or internet protection of any kind is NOT needed but rather something that protects my bandwidth if you know what I mean.

As soon as my laptop connects to my phone's wifi hotspot, it becomes a hungry beast that hasn't eaten for days.

But every month or so I get to a place with Wifi and I want everything to connect and update (Reason why I don't disable updates/access via settings or windows firewall)

Looking for an application that fits this criteria or can be modified to fit criteria:

Blocks everything

Allows only specific programs when turned on until turned off

Simple application "On/Off" switch

So far I've had a look at these:

Windows Firewall

Commodo

Zone Alarm

Tinywall

Threatfire

And heaps more

But so far, only Sygate Personal Firewall fits except its a dinosaur that doesn't seem to have made it to Windows 7 let alone Windows 10.

(I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64bit)

Anyone got any other suggestions/opinions/favorite programs?

Or even one in the list that anyone knows that I can modify to fit the criteria? (Unfamiliar with these applications due to never having to worry about bandwidth usage in the past)

Rather ask than try downloading and trying them all since bandwidth is limited

Cheers in advance

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2017 - 11:53 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Firewalls - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hi,

Not free but NetLimiter is probably something for you https://www.netlimiter.com/products/nl4

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

Look at Simplewall

https://www.henrypp.org/

The review

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/08/simplewall-simple-firewall-for-windows/

But one question...what about Tinywall you wrote...it is not useful for you?

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#4 Thee_Silent

Thee_Silent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

Ok, so I've spent some time looking around and testing out some firewalls

1. Didn't go with NetLimiter as I've had problems with it with multiple different systems with clean Windows installations. After I would install it (Trial) on a clean installation, it would cause small but frequent "freezes" every few minutes which I couldn't fix. Caused so much trouble and wasted time this application but I do however like the features.

2. Tinywall is good. It's just that it isn't as simple to turn things on/off when I'm doing that frequently. There are other applications that I find easier to do this with.

Most didn't fit the "simple" criteria  but I was able to find 2 that were good. (Thanks ichito)

Simplewall

and

Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft

I liked Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft because of Shell Integration into the Context Menus and ability to pretty much block stuff right off the bat by "Blocking" it before you open the file.

But unblocking has a problem since if you "Allow" through the context menu, it seems to just add another firewall rule somehow and doesn't "Allow" the program till you delete the rules and "Allow" it again. If it weren't for this, this would be a killer of an app. 

Decided to stick with Simplewall as you get notifications as something tries to connect and are able to allow or block straight away and the ability to switch on/off is really easy and quick from opening the firewall from the taskbar and checking/unchecking apps.

TLDR

Simplewall and Windows Firewall Control by Binisoft

Simple and easy to use on/off firewall apps.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:29 PM

Thee_Silent,

If you change your mind, take a look at Sphinx firewall - it'll do exactly what you want and is default deny pure packet firewall.

http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/

It's for XP, 7, Vista, 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users