Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Internet dropouts with no indication

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Exfso

Exfso

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Recently I have experienced disconnections when my modem shows connected and the taskbar shows connected.  I know I have lost connection as I cannot navigate to pages on the net and get send receive errors on my outlook email.  For some reason all goes back to normal after a couple of minutes.

I am running windows 7pro 64bit and the modem is connected via Ethernet.

any help would be much appreciated.  I accidentally put this thread on the windows 7 area, so mods if you could would you delete that for me..   Done-Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2017 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 traxsdata

traxsdata

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Have you tried to restart your computer, router, and modem? Leave the modem and router unplugged for about a minute and then plug them back in.

#3 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

yep done that and it will re connect, but the fact remains it does it a few times a day, need to find out the reason.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

You may never find out the reason.

I have had similar problems with my Verizon DSL service off and on for years, and had their techs come out on multiple occasions.  No one has ever been able to determine a root cause (or at least one that they were willing to talk about).

My modem-router will show that it has an internet connection but since not a single device in the house can access the internet when these incidents occur clearly it does not.  Power cycling the modem-router generally fixes it for some period of time (anywhere from hours to days) but it does recur again.  Sometimes the drop outs are more frequent than others.

I know this doesn't really help you much, but you should know that you are not alone and that, regardless of the many ministrations already done in my case, no cause or solution has been found.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

Wow that has made my day!! I have tried different modems, same problem.  Does yours re-connect after a few minutes?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no (unless I power cycle).  If I wait long enough it generally eventually will fix itself, but "long enough" is too long when I need to get something done and power cycling takes all of 1 to 2 minutes from start to finish.

I would be nagging your ISP to at least do line tests to see if they can detect some issue between you and their closest "central office."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, I don't think it is the ISP as I have changed ISP's and the problem was happening with the previous company. What is really strange is the fact that there is absolutely zero indication on either the modem or task bar to show a disconnection has happened. I am tempted to do a complete rebuild on the computer to see if that fixes it, don't want to, as it is a right royal pain, but sometimes it is necessary.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,843 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

Well, if the service is DSL (and you haven't said whether it's cable, fiber optic, or DSL) you have the same phone lines between you and "the central office" and if the problem is close to you then any DSL service could be problematic.  

If it's not DSL then it really is a mystery to me from all fronts, as I've never had to dig in to problems with either a cable or fiber optic internet service connection.

~ Mark Twain

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:56 AM

Who is your ISP and what kind of service do you have Cable or DSL?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#10 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

It is Fibre to the node connection. which is a real pain in Australia, a bandaid fix to put it mildly as the Govt did not want fibre to the premises, supposedly too damn expensive

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

Ok, so you have a fiber connection good. Who is your ISP?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#12 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

As I said I only have fibre to a node which is 150metres up the road and then the old Telstra copper takes over.  I am in Australia, obviously, so the ISP would not really be an issue for you guys in USA

#13 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Even though you have a fiber connection, sounds as if your ISP's DNS Servers aren't very reliable. Have you tried changing your DNS Server settings here a list of Public DNS Servers and their percentages of reliability?

DNS Server List

A. Lattimore

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

The reason I asked because of the symptoms you have described I've encountered also on a number of occasions. The solution was to go into my router and Statically Assign a more reliable DNS Server other than my ISP's. 

A. Lattimore

#15 Exfso

Exfso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Well I have no idea how to do this on my Netcomm router, maybe I need to contact my ISP and see what their take is on this.  Thanks for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users