Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning wind8

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ron316

ron316

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:37 AM

Just a quick question can I clone a wind 8 pro desktop hdd to a wind 10pro laptop hdd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

When you install Windows, it becomes tied to the hardware on that PC, and if you put it into a new PC, you’ll encounter a few problems. You should clean install Windows OS and use PCmover software to migrate your setting, documents and install programs settings.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

Short answer, no.

You have different hardware between the laptop and desktop. There is cloning software that allows you to clone to dissimilar hardware but you will have an activation problem.

You can't clone Windows 8 to different hardware and still have an activated OS. If Windows 8 was retail it would be possible by calling Microsoft and transferring the  license but I believe your OS is OEM which was pre-installed on the computers. Then you have the problem of what OS would be installed on the desktop once Windows 8 is transferred to the laptop.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#4 ron316

ron316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

ok just so im clear laplink will transfer all my files programs that im using now with the product keys like sage 50 accounting thats on my pc. thanks for thwe replies

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

If you are using Laplink to transfer programs and settings to a new computer that will work. I would contact Laplink support to get a confirmation though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#6 ron316

ron316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

ya i did i had to leave a message thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users