Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have no idea what's wrong with my laptop, can anyone help?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 didier12

didier12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

Hi there, I have windows 10 on my HP Pavilion laptop. I was using the laptop last night I'm not sure what happened but at some point I became unable to watch youtube videos, the videos would load but not play, I would sometimes get them to be able to play by fast forwarding through a bit but it would play with no sound at all. I was having this problem on chrome, so I tried using internet explorer to see if the problem persisted and indeed it did, so I'm guessing the problem isn't with chrome.

However it now seems the problem is not exclusively with youtube videos, I've tried opening itunes but nothing happens, I also can not open firefox, I have also tried opening up YouCam but that doesn't open up either.

So far I've tried restarting my computer a few times, updating my graphics driver, completed an AVG scan which showed no threats. I'm not particularly great with computers, does anyone have any idea as to what is wrong with my machine?

UPDATE:  When YouCam fails to load, I am getting the message "You do not have the compatible VGA hardware or driver to run YouCam"  I've gone to update my graphics driver but it says that "Windows has determined my driver software is up to date", any ideas?

Edited by didier12, 29 September 2017 - 05:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

download and run ADWCleaner,

after that download and run Malwarebytes Anti Malware

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

You should install latest drivers from your laptop manufacturer support website.

Posted Image

#4 didier12

didier12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

I think I may have resolved the issue. I didn't realise shutting down the laptop and turning it on again didn't do anything in windows 10. So I have clicked restart and it looks like everything is working again even if a little slow. Kinda embarrassing it is such an easy fix.... lol Thanks for the help anyways.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

If your laptop slow you can follow the instructions for boosting Windows OS speed.

"Tweaking & Optimizing Windows"
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617106/tweaking-optimizing-windows/

Posted Image

#6 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

I had this very issue a few days ago. If it persists. Try uninstalling the sound driver from device manager and reboot. If you have special sound drivers, just re-install the latest and reboot.

7581204627.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think I may have resolved the issue. I didn't realise shutting down the laptop and turning it on again didn't do anything in windows 10. So I have clicked restart and it looks like everything is working again even if a little slow. Kinda embarrassing it is such an easy fix.... lol Thanks for the help anyways.

This is one of the reasons that I despise the "Fast Startup" option with a searing, burning passion.

One of the things I do as part of making my living is working with blind and visually-impaired individuals and teaching them to use the assistive technology needed to access and use the computer.   I have, on two occasions to date, seen what appeared to be an almost complete lockup of a Windows 10 system that was the direct result of corruption to the system hibernation file which is created and used (continuously) as part of Fast Startup.

People have no idea that doing a shutdown is not, in reality, doing a shutdown, but a variant on hibernation where the operating system state is being saved to a hibernation file but the user state is not (which it would be in a conventional full hibernation).   If that file becomes sufficiently corrupt you just keep reloading the issues you already had if you do not use Restart to force the hibernation file to be flushed and recreated.

Most folks (including myself, until Windows 8 & 10) would naturally believe that shutdown did what it always did:  powered down the system completely and reloaded Windows from the disc drive when powering up again.

The first thing I do when I am configuring systems for anyone is to go to Control Panel, Power Options, "Choose what the power button does" link, "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link, and then uncheck the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" checkbox.

I'll take boot times that are slightly longer so that I know that when I shut down I have actually shut down.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 RedneckPCtech

RedneckPCtech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

As britechguy beat me to it, with Windows 10 "Fast Startup" is enabled by default and hibernates the Windows kernel instead of shutting it down, so it's technically not rebooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users