Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Mini 2011-12 Data Doubler install for SSD?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:58 AM

I recently purchased a Mac Mini and am going to upgrade the existing drive to an SSD - But I have a couple of questions-

1. I know I have to clone the existing drive to my new SSD- Do I place the new drive in the lower or upper location ?

2. Same question for the HHD. Where do I place the existing drive? Upper or lower?

3. Do I have to set the boot order once everything is installed? I"m not sure if Macs have a configurable BIOS-  or if it automatically looks for an Operating System?

4. I guess I should erase the old drive once it it reinstalled? Or before it is reinstalled? I will be using it for storage.

Thanks for your help in advance. I've watched countless YouTube videos on how to install the hardware- I'm not concerned about that- it's pretty straight-forward,but none of them seen to address the questions I have . Come on Mac Mini users- I know you are out there!

BTW- I love my "New" Mac Mini!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:06 AM

1. Depends on which data doubler you you bought. Lower and upper data doublers are different.

2. See 1

3. Apple menu > System Preferences > Startup Disk

4. Once you reinstall it after cloning the existing drive to the SSD.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:54 AM

1. Depends on which data doubler you you bought. Lower and upper data doublers are different.

2. See 1

3. Apple menu > System Preferences > Startup Disk

4. Once you reinstall it after cloning the existing drive to the SSD.

it is a kit -to install both upper and lower drives. My current drive is in the lower position. I bought the kit from OWC,through Macsales.com

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:11 PM

If you think the storage disk will fill up faster than the startup disk, then I would suggest that you install it to the lower bay. It will be easier to replace later on if you would like to upgrade it with a bigger hard drive. Same with the startup disk.

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

I will be replacing the 500 gig HDD with a 500 gig SSD. It is located in the lower bay . So once the SSD is installed in the lower bay, I will put the 500 gig HHD in the upper bay. I just don't want the computer to try and boot to the HHD instead of the New SSD if that makes any sense?

Edited by paul88ks, 29 September 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

Its the upper bay that you will need to install a hard drive to first, then the lower bay. Install the disks, boot from the original disk, format the new disk using Disk Utility, clone to the new disk, go to System Prefs and choose the startup disk (it doesn't matter which disk your MM is running from), restart the MM and it will always startup from the disk you chose in System Prefs until you change it again.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:31 PM

Its the upper bay that you will need to install a hard drive to first, then the lower bay. Install the disks, boot from the original disk, format the new disk using Disk Utility, clone to the new disk, go to System Prefs and choose the startup disk (it doesn't matter which disk your MM is running from), restart the MM and it will always startup from the disk you chose in System Prefs until you change it again.

Wow - didn't know that! That sounds almost too easy! Gotta love Mac- you could never do that in Windows- or Linux!

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

Wow - didn't know that! That sounds almost too easy! Gotta love Mac- you could never do that in Windows- or Linux!

I'll let you know how it goes! The SSD came in the mail today! I also bought a Trackpad for it. I like it much better than the mouse!

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

I'll let you know how it goes! The SSD came in the mail today! I also bought a Trackpad for it. I like it much better than the mouse!

Please do. Yes, the trackpad is a lot better, I have one too for my MM.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:49 AM

Well - I thought I was home free but I broke the pin header on the fan. Got a replacement ordered - will be here Thursday! I think it was just worn out - it fell apart when I tried to remove it with a spudging tool-

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Success! Got the new fan today.Got it installed. SSD installed and cloned using Carbon Copy. It wouldn't let me clone the drive using Disc utility for some reason,so I did some searching and found Carbon Copy. Switched the boot disc in Startup disc and restarted and Bang! This little Mac Mini is super fast now!

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 685 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

:thumbsup2:

Yes, Disk Utility doesn't do clones. 

Enjoy your MM!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users