Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lotr_Gimli

Lotr_Gimli

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

Mod Edit:  Split from  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/195367/hearing-windows-error-sound-random - Hamluis.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

From Application in Window Log (Event Viewer). The error message repeats every now and then in the log, just like the random error sound I keep hearing. I listen to lectures which often have low audio, so I must turn up the volume. Which means the error sound strikes all the harder in the headset...

Any help here would be much appreciated! Note that I'm poor at all computer tech things.

I'd like to add that there is no such thing as threadomancy: If a topic is relevant again, it's relevant.

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2017 - 01:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

Press the Windows key windows-key.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type cmd (admin) in the Run box, then press Enter, this will open the Command Prompt as an Administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lotr_Gimli

Lotr_Gimli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

Thank you kindly, dc3! Quick, helpful and easy to follow answer. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. Is there some other string to pull, in order to root out the random error beep? It's not frequent enough so as to be acutely necessary, but better ask in case a solution exists.

Edited by Lotr_Gimli, 28 September 2017 - 01:13 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

I must apologize, that post was not intended for you.  This is one of the problems which can occur when a member posts their problem in another members topic.  I had requested that your post be split off to create a new topic which it has been done.  I don't usually get involved in Windows XP topics.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

Looking at your original post - if you are seeing errors (which may be informative messages and not errors) from Avast, what do you think the problem might be?

Did you follow the advice to uninstall/reinstall Avast or ask in the Avast community why their product is logging errors like that?

I recall a post in another community about how to figure out what is making random Windows sounds.

I used it once a long time ago with success, saved the link but can't find where I helped somebody long ago.

Maybe this will help figure it out:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/find-application-making-sounds-in-background/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users