Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (via M.2 PCIe NVMe adapter) wont show up in Disk Management

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johng-g

johng-g

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hey,

I think this is a motherboard driver/support issue (MSI Z170-A Pro ATX LGA1151 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170-A-PRO.html); however, I see nothing on the product page or BIOS to reflect this.

Anyway, I recently bought an M.2 PCIe NVMe adapter for my ADATA XPG SX8000 256GB m.2 NVMe SSD (I only have one M.2 slot on my mobo, which is being used by another, smaller capacity, ADATA XPG SX8000 SSD). I installed the SSD on the adapter card and then inserted the adapter into the PCIe x4 slot. When I went to Disk Management in Windows, it does not show up at all (no new unallocated disk shows up). The weird thing is that it shows up in Device Manager just fine.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Attempted fixes: I've looked in my bios for any options to enable but nothing is there that helps; I've taken it out and put it back in; I've run a memory diagnosis; rebooted multiple times; looked for drivers (there are none)

Recent changes: Just a new video card, which was added at the same time. It's a brand new system on a brand new mobo.

System specs: 

The M.2 NVMe SSD in question: ADATA XPG SX8000 http://www.adata.com/us/specification/423 
Other specs:
MSI Z170-A Pro ATX LGA1151 motherboard ]https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170-A-PRO.html
Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB G1
INTEL CORE I5-7500 Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2133MHz

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Edited by johng-g, 28 September 2017 - 10:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

I'm just throwing out a guess here. The M.2 slot on the MB uses the PCIe x 4 lane. You are adding another M.2 card via the PCIe x 4 slot. Perhaps using a M.2 NMVe on the MB slot prevents use of the PCIe x 4 slot for an additional M.2. I would contact MSI support to confirm this.

Is the drive detected if you use the PCIe x 1 slot? 

#3 johng-g

johng-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

I'm just throwing out a guess here. The M.2 slot on the MB uses the PCIe x 4 lane. You are adding another M.2 card via the PCIe x 4 slot. Perhaps using a M.2 NMVe on the MB slot prevents use of the PCIe x 4 slot for an additional M.2. I would contact MSI support to confirm this.

Is the drive detected if you use the PCIe x 1 slot? 

That is something I haven't considered. Thanks! I will contact MSI for sure. If that is the case though, would it not show up in the Device Manager?

The adapter card can't fit in the x1 slots unfortunately. Is there an adapter that can?

Edited by johng-g, 28 September 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

I can't say for sure. Is it possible the adapter itself is what is showing up. How does the M.2 with adapter show in UEFI/BIOS?

Open a command prompt with the M.2 attached.

Type

diskpart

list disk

Is the additional M.2 listed.

#5 johng-g

johng-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

Will do this as soon as I get home in about an half hour. Thanks for your replies!

#6 johng-g

johng-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

I can't say for sure. Is it possible the adapter itself is what is showing up. How does the M.2 with adapter show in UEFI/BIOS?

Type

diskpart

list disk

Quick update before I head home to check. The user manual only says this when using the M.2 slot:

"The SATA1 port will become unavailable when M.2 SATA SSD has been installed in M.2 slot."

And here is a FAQ question that may be relevant:

Why M.2 does not work when installing VGA cards x4?

According to the user manual it should work with this combination.
To make the M.2 SSD work on Gen 2.0 x2, please set the SE_USB_SW1 switch to the lower position (SE1_65). Another way to set M.2 SSD as Gen 2.0 x2, BIOS setup menu -> Settings -> Advanced -> SATA USB3.1 Gen1 Switch = SATA By doing so, the JUSB4 Front Asmedia USB 3.1 port would be not available.

Edited by johng-g, 28 September 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#7 johng-g

johng-g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Type

diskpart

list disk

It isn't listed when I type "list disk"

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

Does the disk show at all in the Intel RST application?

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users