Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Startup Flags

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 afridy

afridy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

Hai friends.

When we looked at our startup programs list using a startup manager like Spybot S&D or Browser Hijack Retaliator , i see lot of startup programs uses an additional flag at the end of there file path.

I.E. C:\Program file\MSN Messanger\msnmsgr.exe /background

What is this /background flags tel the perticuler program?

like wise there are some other flags too. i am very happy if get a description of each flags.

1. /background

2. -osboot

3 -quit (Yahoo messanger uses this flag)

There can some other flags. if there please inclede them in the list.

Looking forward to the answers. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

well /background would mean that the program operates in the background of the processes. os boot I would assume means the program opens on the operating system bootstrap and quit could be telling yahoo to open a different program when it quits, possibly when you exit out of a chat and it goes to the toolbar or something similar.

#3 afridy

afridy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:32 AM

well /background would mean that the program operates in the background of the processes. os boot I would assume means the program opens on the operating system bootstrap and quit could be telling yahoo to open a different program when it quits, possibly when you exit out of a chat and it goes to the toolbar or something similar.

Hai Gyro

Thanks for the reply.

I think first two explanations are ok :thumbsup: . but the one which yahoo messanger adds is actually "-quiet" and not "-quit" . i am sorry. so the explanation of you too would be worng.

let see what other have to say about the following.

1. /background
2. -osboot
3. -quiet

bye

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:26 PM

It would be useful to know which of the two applications puts those designations behind the slash, since they are not there in Windows. If one knew this, then the explanation for what they mean would be found either in the Help file, or at the application's home page, I would imagine.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

From a quick web search I presume that the -quiet switch causes Yahoo Messenger not to play sounds when people log on or off of your buddies list.

In general, the switch following the program name was coded by the folks who coded that program. It will be somewhat different for each program that you deal with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 afridy

afridy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hai all.

Thank you for sharaing your thoughts. Yes. it seems those flags are corded by programs and not predefined xp flags.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users