Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jacobite83

jacobite83

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

This being my first post my apologies if i`m at the wrong door.  My system lenovo Desktop H330 will not boot, as soon as the system logo appears i get a white screen, f8 key does not bring up advanced options, i`m trying various bootable recovery disks none of which can find the drives, Norton bootable recovery tool gives the error " The windows machine is hibernated , press OK to reboot into windows and turn off hibernation" doing so just boots to the white screen, i have tried the windows install disk and repair options no which helped, is there any thing else i should be trying?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

Since this is not related to analyzing Malware logs, and bootable recovery discs cannot ID any hard drive, I'll initially move the topic to Internal Hardware, on the possibility of it being a hardware fault.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Ok thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

What OS, Windows 10? What OS was originally installed on the computer? Tap F1 or F2 at boot. Can you access BIOS and if so is your HDD listed? What recovery disks have you booted? I assume you need data off the HDD. Do you have a USB external drive to recover the data?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2017 - 10:03 AM.

#5 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

I'm using winndows10 before that windows 7, i can see the hard drive listed in the BIOS recovery discs used Kaspersky. ESET.Panda. Norton Bootable recovery disk.

#6 -Cobra-

-Cobra-

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

It might be helpful if you added the info that you shared in your PM because it could be relevant. Now the thread has been moved, people can reply to this thread whereas they could not in the malware removal forum.

A 6 year old Hitachi drive has done very well IMO. The one I purchased failed in less than 18 months.

It would be worth doing a smart check on the drive. You need to work out whether the drive has failed or whether the issue is a windows boot issue. The white screen seems odd because when windows cannot boot it is usually black. It might be worth getting the Hitachi drive checking software and testing the drive on another PC. They might do a dos bootable CD/flash program which can test the drive. Seagate do make such a utility so Hitachi might also make one.

I did have something similar myself but in my case I got what looked a little like an off white texture like canvas which displayed before the windows welcome screen. It did not stop my PC from booting. Finding something which can check the boot block to make sure it is standard and a valid windows 10 boot block as some malware can write to the boot block. You might need to do that on another PC with a booting windows. It could of damaged the partition table which would also cause the PC to not boot. See whether you can access the drive and list the files on another PC.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

I am not sure if this setting is in your BIOS but make sure Fastboot or Quickboot is disabled if you have that settings.

Your boot disks would not boot if your computer has a UEFI BIOS vs Legacy BIOS.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the disk. Do you still get a white screen. If it starts to boot let it run until it gets to the Mint Desktop. Do not imput anything until at the desktop. Click on the Computer icon on the desktop. Your disk will be in the left pane. Click on it to see your files.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

#8 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:13 PM

My system lenovo Desktop H330 will not boot, as soon as the system logo appears i get a white screen, f8 key does not bring up advanced options, i`m trying various bootable recovery disks none of which can find the drives, Norton bootable recovery tool gives the error " The windows machine is hibernated , press OK to reboot into windows and turn off hibernation" doing so just boots to the white screen, i have tried the windows install disk and repair options no which helped, is there any thing else i should be trying? This is a copy of my original post

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

It seems Norton does see the disk. If you do not want to try booting from a live linux disk you can remove the drive and either attach it to another desktop internally or use a USB adapter. You can then recover your data if possible and check the disk with Seatools for Windows. If the drive passes reinstall Windows 10 after recovering the data from the drive.

Something like this for an adapter. This is just an example. You may be able to find something locally. Make sure you get one with a power adapter which is required for any 3.5 HDDs.

If the drive checks out okay and after a reinstall of Windows 10 you still get a white screen then you are dealing with a hardware problem that would require a good shop to diagnose.

#10 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 12:55 AM

I would much rather deal with the problem with the drive in situ, removing it to anothher computer would be too much of a challange for me, the fact that norton and other recovery discs can see the discs in hibernation but can't scan it is there a solution to that, i originally wanted to boot to safe mode but windows 10 have removed the advanced boot options

Edited by jacobite83, 29 September 2017 - 01:00 AM.

#11 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 04:37 AM

I need to add some further information regarding the person who used the computer last, they tried to access google and a message popped up, they closed the pop up and thats when the white screen appeared,they were able to shut thecomputer down. I was not aware of this when i come to turn the computer on and got the white screen,my apologies for this.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

This may be just a coincidence. Was the white screen issue using the same monitor? If it was see if using a different monitor and video cable still results in a white screen.

Sometimes a powercycle will kick things back. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot.

#13 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

Thanks John i did try that but it's still the same

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Just to confirm, you cannot access BIOS by tapping F1 or F2 at boot?

#15 jacobite83

jacobite83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:49 AM

I get to BIOS via f12 on my computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users