Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install OS !!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 whiteturbo

whiteturbo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

First thing, i'm not a noob and have built many systems over the years for myself and friends.

So the problem is as the title says i can't install the OS, windows 10 in this case, I have tried both Flash drive and DVD.

My System:-

CPU -              Ryzen 5 1600 

Cooling -         NZXT  240mm kraken CPU Cooler

Motherboard - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 motherboard(Formally ASUS  Prime b350 plus)

Ram -              Corsair 8gb

Graphics -       Nvidia GTX 980ti

Hard Drive -    Crucial 256gb SSD

PSU -              Seasonic X750 Gold modular

Case -             Cooler master HAF XB EVO

HISTORY

CPU,Corsair Ram and Asus motherboard bought as a bundle, installed OK but never stable even at stock speed,BSD, Black screens, crashing in middle of games etc and finally the dreaded windows 10 automatic repair error. I put it down to Motherboard or ram and as the ram was showing up as it should in the bios i decided to get a new motherboard as i never liked the Asus board from day one and was intending to replace it anyway.

Bought Gigayte x370 gaming 5 and installed it.

I can get into the bios and as the bios was out of date, the first thing i did was update it(after not being able to install OS), no problem it went sweet as a nut. downloaded the new bios onto a flash drive using my other computer, so the flash drive worked OK from within the bios. Everything checks out from within the bios including the ram and the SSD  but still no luck with the OS. So using the flash drive i used for the bios update i used rufus and put windows 10 on that flash drive, still no luck, either the flash drive would shut down(activity light stopped) or the windows blue logo would appear and the circle loading thing would freeze but activity light continued flashing until i shut it down.I also tried using a DVD but that just wirred a few times and shut itself down with screen frozen.

So using the above flash drive and the SSD I put them in this computer(FX6300) and installed windows 10 on the SSD. In other words the flash drive is OK and so is The SSD so i put the SSD with windows 10 on it back into the Ryzen computer hoping to have circumnavigated  the install process but no luck, only the automatic repair error. My thoughts are now that its the ram causing the problem but as i am poor and have just bought a new motherboard i cant afford to replace the ram as well, at least not yet,So has anyone any ideas, Do you think its the ram? because i am now worried that i replace the ram and the problem is still there. Any help or just ideas appreciated because i'm very close to putting a hammer to the whole thing  :angry:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

Try the following. Put the SSD back in your Ryzen computer. Boot the Windows 10 install media and when you reach the screen asking for language press Shift + F10. 

This will open a command prompt. Type

diskpart

select disk X    Where X is the number associated with your drive OS will be installed to.One a one drive system it will be 0

clean                Will wipe all partitions on the drive so make sure you have selected the correct drive.

convert GPT     Initializes the disk to boot from a UEFI computer

exit

exit

continue with the install. If the install again stalls then I would hazard a guess it's hardware related. You can download and burn an iso of Memtest86+. Run it for at least 6 passes and preferably overnight.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Specifics on the RAM modules?

MB Specs.

Louis

#4 whiteturbo

whiteturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, The problem with your suggestion is i never get that far, the windows 10 install media doesn't even boot.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Use Qemu Simple Boot program to check if USB is bootable.

If you have more than one RAM module test the RAM modules by connecting single RAM module at time.

Posted Image

#6 whiteturbo

whiteturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:26 PM

Specifics on the RAM modules?

MB Specs.

Louis

Hi hamluis, as requested:-Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4  8gb(2x4gb) 2400mhz 14-16-16-31 1.20v ver 6.20

Edited by whiteturbo, 27 September 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#7 whiteturbo

whiteturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

Use Qemu Simple Boot program to check if USB is bootable.

If you have more than one RAM module test the RAM modules by connecting single RAM module at time.

Hi Freebooter the image is bootable because I tried  it successfully in another computer. And i also tried the ram sticks individually but no luck

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:35 PM

Maybe there is problem with SSD check SSD smart health report.

Posted Image

#9 whiteturbo

whiteturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Maybe there is problem with SSD check SSD smart health report.

Thats a good idea, it certainly can't do any harm.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer. Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test

4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Posted Image

#11 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

If using USB WIn10 install media, try one of the native USB2.0 ports vice one of the front panel 3.0 ports, which may not function correctly prior to chipset drivers being installed...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users