Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is saving passwords for email and such sites a bad practice?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

Simple, and quite possibly stupid, question:

For my important sites such as email and banking i don't save / update passwords, preferring to memorise them and input them each time. This 'feels safer' to me, but just wondered if that was in fact the case?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

i never have any passwords saved on my computer....not for anything

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

I doubt that you can prove that it's safer, but logic dictates that it is.

I do save passwords on my computer, but never in web browsers.  I use Password Safe which has a separate strongly encrypted file that is not "probe-able" via any web browser.  I don't refer to it on a constant basis, but there are times when I've forgotten what password I've used on a given site, particularly before I began using the portmanteau method of creating them outlined below.

The whole idea of passwords is that they should be memorable to you but not easily guessable.   The easiest way to create these is to make a portmanteau password using elements that are easy for you to remember but almost impossible to guess.   I always use the example that if your childhood phone number was (202) 891-0245, your first address as an adult was 1536 Elm St, and your favored "special character" is %, you can easily build a password for every website that takes the form, 0245%Elm{website specific bit that you'll remember, e.g. 1stBank}1536.   Once you have the fixed portions of your portmanteau memorized and you have the muscle memory down for entering them you have a very secure password that's quick and easy for you to remember but virtually impossible for someone else to guess.

Edited by britechguy, 27 September 2017 - 10:34 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I have always allowed Firefox to save passwords for everything except "special situations" (ie, banking). I also use the paid version of Roboform.

#5 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

I just use a cloud password manager. so i can access them on every machine i have.

Edited by Umbra, 27 September 2017 - 02:33 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#6 Knat

Knat

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:41 AM

I do save passwords on my computer, but never in web browsers.  I use Password Safe which has a separate strongly encrypted file that is not "probe-able" via any web browser.  

Is this a vault that keeps them for reference? But doesn't fill them in automatically for you? (So you can double-check without having to resort to keeping a paper notebook, or a password-protected file on your hard drive or a thumb drive, or whatever you were doing before, if you didn't really want to put all your passwords together in an online-accessible place?)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

Knat,

Yes.  See https://pwsafe.org/.

You can also elect to store the encrypted vault in the cloud and it does have a feature where you can copy/paste for fill-in, but it doesn't do that behind the scenes for you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 Knat

Knat

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

Thanks. :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users