Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with CCleaner please

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Neonraver

Neonraver

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Hello Guys  I hope you are great today :).

I need your help please, I am a person that values privacy so I like running CCleaner once a month to delete every trace of my deleted files. Last month I ran it like usual both disk drives, and  deleting the MFT free spaces with the slow 7 overwrite function. I ran it once and it took a long while then I ran it a second time and it was much faster. Problem is this month. I ticked some extra boxes but nothing to serious, and well I ran it once and it took forever to finish specially in the MFT free spaces, So I ran it a second time to make sure, and it was much faster everything but the MFT free spaces, it takes about the same time as the first time I ran cc cleaner this month and this is like hours it takes hours to finish. So my question is,  maybe is not deleting the MFT free spaces properly? or otherwise it would be as fast as it deletes the other things like cache and all that.

Thank you very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:03 PM

As I understand it, Ccleaner works on temporary files by applying the normal delete process to them. That is to say it changes the entries in the fie master table to 'free space' as opposed to actually removing the binaries. This is exactly what happens if you manually delete a file. This is a fairly quick process and if all the entries have been changed the first time you run it then it will run much quicker the second time as there will be very few entries to change.

The 'wipe free space' function works differently in that it writes a random series of '1's and '0's to the empty space on the hard drive, in effect it is writing a lot of data, meanigless data with no content but still data. It is this operation that takes the time. And if you use the '7 writes' function then it will take a very long time because it is doing this seven times.

I too value my privacy but when you delete a file its space is marked as free and other files can and will be written into that space. Once this happens then it becomes between much harder and impossible to recover the files that were in that location previously. See any of the many threads by people trying to recover accidentally deleted files. I feel you are taking concern for privacy to unnecessary lengths, particularly if there is little or no access to your computer by others. You are also of course denying yourself the use of the computer for long periods of time.

I too use Ccleaner on my computers but I have to say I have never used the 'wipe free space' function. I tried it once and cancelled the operation when it forecast a time period of several hours.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users