Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Popup on Windows 10 "Help us Protect your info"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gravymatt

gravymatt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

<This is a post to answer the question I figured out so it will help other people>

Problem: For 3 days now, every time I click the windows "Start" icon I am prompted with a vague non-identified window telling me "Help us Protect your info" and  to verify my email address.

See the attached a screenshot to note the lack of branding, company name, anything that is would identify it. 

1. I even closed out all the apps running and opened  Task Manager to see if I could identify the program. -- NOTHING!?
  2. Ok, search Google. But, didn't find much in the general Search Results
  3. I switched to "Image" Results for "Help us Protect your info" and bingo. I found my offending window on this blog post http://www.thewindowsclub.com/verify-your-identity-on-this-pc-windows-10.
    >> The net results is the window is real and WIndows 10 wants me to verify my account but I would have been more likely to trust the window if the Windows 10 dev team had identified it more (again see screenshot)
  4. The Fix -
    1. Click Start Icon  > Setting (the cog/gear) 
    2. Click Accounts - Your accounts, email, sync, work, family
    3. Under the text "You need to verify your identity on this PC." Click Verify link.
    4. Now, you will see the same window but at least now you know that made it happen. 
    5. Fill out the info and you good
  5. The window has stopped showing up now, hopefully it lasts (cross yo' fingers)

Edited by britechguy, 27 September 2017 - 09:14 AM.
Tweaked "none identified" to non-identified

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

It will last.

This particular dialog has been a feature of Windows 10 since the beginning, I think.   It will recur again if you change your Microsoft Account password but continue logging in to your Windows 10 account with the immediately previous password (which you can do, since the password is stored locally and only changes to your updated one the first time you log in with that new password - you have to be able to log in if you have no internet connection and the only way this can be done is by maintaining a local and encrypted copy of your account password).

Eventually, if you've changed your Microsoft Account password but not used it on your Windows 10 user account that's linked to that Microsoft Account you will be asked to verify your identity again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users