<This is a post to answer the question I figured out so it will help other people>
Problem: For 3 days now, every time I click the windows "Start" icon I am prompted with a vague non-identified window telling me "Help us Protect your info" and to verify my email address.
See the attached a screenshot to note the lack of branding, company name, anything that is would identify it.
- I even closed out all the apps running and opened Task Manager to see if I could identify the program. -- NOTHING!?
- Ok, search Google. But, didn't find much in the general Search Results
- I switched to "Image" Results for "Help us Protect your info" and bingo. I found my offending window on this blog post http://www.thewindowsclub.com/verify-your-identity-on-this-pc-windows-10.
>> The net results is the window is real and WIndows 10 wants me to verify my account but I would have been more likely to trust the window if the Windows 10 dev team had identified it more (again see screenshot)
- The Fix -
- Click Start Icon > Setting (the cog/gear)
- Click Accounts - Your accounts, email, sync, work, family
- Under the text "You need to verify your identity on this PC." Click Verify link.
- Now, you will see the same window but at least now you know that made it happen.
- Fill out the info and you good
- The window has stopped showing up now, hopefully it lasts (cross yo' fingers)
Edited by britechguy, 27 September 2017 - 09:14 AM.
Tweaked "none identified" to non-identified