Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My USB 3.0 to 2.5 SATA HDD adapter isn't read my HDDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Notfortheeyes

Notfortheeyes

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:41 AM

Hi there,

I recently purchased a USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Cable w/UASP to try to get data off of some old hard drives of mine, which are Western Digital WD800JD drives, but when I connect the usb cable to my computer, a light comes on the USB cable but no drive or data is read.  I have no idea what I'm doing wrong as this is the first time I'm collecting data off of an old HDD, so just wondering what I need to do to get the data off of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:42 AM

That's a 3.5" drive - since you don't specify what adapter cable you purchased, I'm guessing that it doesn't use a mains adapter, just connects straight into a USB3 port? If so, that is for 2.5" laptop drives as the name indicates, and can't power a 3.5" drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Notfortheeyes

Notfortheeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

It's this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=nav_ya_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1506412645&sr=8-1&keywords=hard+drive+adapter& Is this not compatible? 

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

No, it can only operate 2.5" laptop drives, as per its description. You would need something more in this style (example only, not recommendation):

https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Drive-Adapter-Supports-Connect/dp/B017CO5FJM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506515694&sr=1-3&keywords=powered+hard+drive+adapter

#5 Notfortheeyes

Notfortheeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:50 AM

What do you recommend then?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:17 AM

I don't have any specific recommendation - the one I use came from a distributor here in Australia and is no longer in their product range. You need one of similar style to the one I linked to, that has a mains adapter suited to the electricity supply where you live.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

I have used one similar to this with success. It uses USB 2 but USB 3 is backward compatible to USB 2.

I purchased a Vantec which is more expensive. They have a new USB 3 model that does include a power adapter.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Vantec is a pretty safe bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users