Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

win7 start up - compression error popup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yoz09

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

I've been having this compression popup for quite some time and haven't been able to track down the application or services that's invoking the windows 7 compression utility. I've looked within event viewer for any warnings or errors and boot logs as well, nothing seems to log why its compressing a file. I recently reformatted  my PC and did a new install of win 7 hoping it'll get rid of this popup. it usually happens the moment Desktop comes up and i'll get the Compressing... popup first followed by the Compressed Folders error popup. When it happens the Task Manager Applications tab would have a Compression task and if i don't respond to the popup it'll go away on its own within 30-45 seconds. When it happened tonight i saw manifest.xml flash on the Compressing window followed by the Compressed Folder error popup. Its not affecting the PC but i'm annoyed/curious as to why its occurring since i thought a clean install of windows would stop this from happening. 

does anyone know if windows has logs for the native Compression application to at least see what/where it was trying to access? any thoughts or suggestions on how to pinpoint what app/service/task is invoking this popup?

any help is appreciated. thanks 

Attached Files

Edited by yoz09, 27 September 2017 - 12:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

You could try looking in scheduled tasks to see if anything is listed there.
Also bring up cmd prompt (right-click run as admin) and do a system file check.
sfc /scannow
This thread here has quite a few ideas

You will need to expand the replies to see all of them

#3 yoz09

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:47 AM

Thanks opera for your response, i'll take a look at that thread. as for sfc scannow it came back "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." 

I looked at task scheduler in the past as well and just now, Cache Task (Wininet) is the only task I've seen close to the time i got the popup base on the times I've gotten it. however i don't get it every time i log on, its pretty random and usually once a week

also with the previous build, Citrix Receiver was the app i installed last. i also installed on the PC again, wondering if it has tasks on its own to compress or access manifest.xml?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users