Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win 7 tower, moved hd from XP machine, files question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Inset irises

Inset irises

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

Hello,

I just purchased a used Dell Windows 7 tower from a local shop.

The tower has a 1 TB C drive.

The shop installed the 250gb WD drive from my old XP machine in the tower

as the E drive. 

The shop also made a copy of the data from the E drive and put it on the C drive,

in the event that the E drive has any problems.

In the past, I had 2 other towers.  The first time I upgraded, the techs made a data folder from the first

machine and moved it to the second machine.  The second time I upgraded, the techs made a copy

of the data from the second machine and moved it to the third machine.  That data included the folder

from the earlier machine.

With this upgrade, the copied data folder on the C drive includes the previous data backups,

as does the E drive.

I'm wondering how to organize this machine and how to get rid of the files I won't need.

I have lots of duplicate files and old program files going back to around 2002.

Any input on this would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JenniferT

JenniferT

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:52 AM

I think you should tell to local shop owner where you have purchased this. They might be solve this.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Any backup, any copy of files...only relates to a previous particular point in time..on a specific system.

If you are referring to data files only (no programs, no O/S), those files present no problem using/viewing on any system, at any time.  Data files can be used irrespective of the date on which they are copied.

If you are referring to program files or O/S files...they are of no value at all on a system which is totally different (different motherboard, different drivers, different components) because these files will only perform as they are intended to...where the components are a match for the drivers, settings involved in installing an O/S and/or programs.

I have backups of my current system, made on 20 Sep 2017...a complete backup of my 3 O/Ses (XP, Win 7, Win 10) and the programs installed on each.  Those backups are on a FX 8320 system with an Asus motherboard.  If I try to restore/use those backups on a Dell Optiplex 755 (another desktop I have), they will not work properly.

I would be able to access any data files included in the backup (videos, music, photos, docuements) but I would not be able to run either XP, Win 7, or Win 10 on a different system, using that backup.  Once the system components are changed, the O/S and the programs backed up...are useless and the O/S and all programs expected to work properly...have to be installed.

This is by design...otherwise, users would be able to purchase/install 1 copy of a given O/S and/or programs...on multiple systems with varying hardware.  Such would be illegal, if possible, because the licenses for O/Ses and programs are not intended to provide a universal install with a single copy.  Those licenses apply to specific systems or a specific number of different systems.

If such were not the case...O/S and program developers would quickly go out of business...and there would be no incentive for anyone to develop products which are marketable/saleable.  Users would have to rely on "open-source" and "free" sources for operating systems and the programs which would be useble on a computer, with no support functions and responsibility attendant to the non-sale of those products.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Inset irises

Inset irises
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the information.  I am keeping all of the photos, pdf's, videos, music, and docs, but think that I can probably safely

delete the App data created in 2009 and earlier for the apps from XP and earlier that I haven't used in ages, like ICQ, PicaJet, and NetCaptor.

While I'm still far from comfortable with Win 7 and liked XP better, I am only using Win 7 (except for a netbook running XP that I think I will need

to work with Mini DV video software). 

The old backup App files I'm not sure about are those I still use on the Win 7 machine, like Apple, TurboTax, and the like.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

Well...a backup strategy of some sort needs to be employed by every user.  Mine is not perfect but it allows me not to worry about possible future situaitons.

I keep dupes of videos, music, photos, and programs (downloaded but not installed) on flash drives.  If I manage to lose those items from a working system, I have copies that I can use on a clean install.  I do not include any data files in my backups, since I don't keep data files on the Windows partitions.

I make routine backups only of the O/S partitions, which contain the O/S and the programs installed.  I have never used any of the backups which I routinely make...for me, clean-installing the O/S is not a task that going to kill me and and I prefer clean installs when things go wrong.  I have all of my valid licenses/keys stored for easy access.  I could use these backups to retrieve browser favorites and such...if I do a clean install and did not otherwise have access to that information.

Whatever strategy you employ...just be sure that you update/implement it routinely...and that you are sure that the strategy will work when needed.  Many people make backups and never test to see if the backup is really accessible and works as intended...these persons create situations of frustration for themselves.

Re Win 7...IMO, Win 7 is very close to XP, with a few cosmetic changes and a few MS "innovations" that can be useful.  Familiarity will allow you to see the benefits, IMO.  The more you use it, the more that you will like it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users