Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions/Issues about using 2 Monitors/screens.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xbabyx

xbabyx

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

Hello,

I have a laptop LENOVO ideapad y700, & a External Screen/Monitor which is Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD.

Link to my Laptop: LINK

Link to my Monitor/Screen: LINK

My laptop is Windows 10, I use an HDMI cable ( new/perfectly decent as i tried it on our TV and it worked just fine.)

Issues:

1) Audio Switching issues ( will ask & give details below )

2) Graphics/colors/image quality issue, where my second monitor colors looks really weird/bad compared to laptop.

3) In DxDiag it's showing that my Laptop is using the Intel® HD Graphics 530,  instead of my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M!

4) Software Screen switching issues ( Winkey+Shift+Left(or right) )

Questions:

1) Audio: How can i make it so the audio comes from whereever screen the software is running? (ex: I have the game "Dota 2" I learnt that using "Winkey + shift + left (or right) " you can switch your game to show at the left screen or right screen ), but it looks bad if the image is on the left screen, but the sound is coming from LAPTOP which is on the right :/ (Note: I learnt that i can go to "Playback Devices" and switch between Intel and Realtek to make the sound either comes from laptop or from the external monitor. But can't I make them both on, but only if there's activity on the specific screen it makes the sound from there? rather than having only 1 output location ?

Point: When i play music, browsing etc, I'd like it to run from Laptop (Audio) but whenever I run "Dota 2" I'd like it to display on second screen AND have the audio comes from second screen as well.

2) Quality: My second screen colors have been awful when i connect it to my Laptop via HDMI, my drivers are up to date (EVERYTHING on laptop completely up to date.) ; I tried editing Contrast, Sharpness, Brightness to make it a bit better, but still it's no where as good or acceptable to the eye to focus/enjoy watching on the screen without feeling that it's annoying. I edited "Name" of Input and I made sure it's using "PC" as its HDMI input, any suggestions/ideas to make it better?

Point: The quality is really terrible and no where as close to my Laptop, although i'm sure its a very decent monitor..

3)Graphics Card selection: As I mentioned above,In DxDiag it's showing that my Laptop is using the Intel® HD Graphics 530,  instead of my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M! is that.. normal? why isn't it using my nVIDIA one, i think it's better? is there a way to choose it myself?

Point: It's showing thati  got 2 Display Adapters in Device Manager, Intel® HD Graphics 530 AND NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, however in "DxDiag" it's using my Intel and not my nVidia.

4) Having issues where if i run the game "Dota 2" and i use Winkey + shift + Left, it goes to left screen, but if i do now Winkey+shift+right it does not go back to the right screen :/ altho other windows like "Firefox" do.

Any help, ideas and suggestions is greatly appreciated <3 :)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by xbabyx, 26 September 2017 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

1.  I don't think there is a way to move the audio based upon the screen the application is running.  There may be some third party application that does this, but I'd think the use case for it would be minimal.

2.  How does the image look bad?  Have you tried a different HDMI cable?  It doesn't matter if the cable worked on your TV, it may have an issue with the computer.  Do you have another device you can hook up to the monitor to see how it looks?

3.  There may be something in the BIOS regarding the video card.  HP calls it Hybrid graphics and you can set it to Auto, disabled, or discrete.

4.  These things happen.  Not even all Microsoft programs behave the same.  OneNote is its own beast, all other applications in Windows 10 if you mouse is on the screen you can scroll, not OneNote, you have to actually click on it to scroll.  Most likely something in the coding of the game.

#3 xbabyx

xbabyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

1.  I don't think there is a way to move the audio based upon the screen the application is running.  There may be some third party application that does this, but I'd think the use case for it would be minimal.

2.  How does the image look bad?  Have you tried a different HDMI cable?  It doesn't matter if the cable worked on your TV, it may have an issue with the computer.  Do you have another device you can hook up to the monitor to see how it looks?

3.  There may be something in the BIOS regarding the video card.  HP calls it Hybrid graphics and you can set it to Auto, disabled, or discrete.

4.  These things happen.  Not even all Microsoft programs behave the same.  OneNote is its own beast, all other applications in Windows 10 if you mouse is on the screen you can scroll, not OneNote, you have to actually click on it to scroll.  Most likely something in the coding of the game.

Thanks for replying :)

1) Funny enough for SOME REASON, my Dota 2 game gets muted if i click on the other screen, so the audio issue got fixed itself :D simply now i have the browser in second screen, dota in first, if i click on browser dota gets muted, if i wanna watch from dota, i click the stream mute button and click on dota!

2) The screen simply looks like its either too shiny/white/glow or dark if you look at it from another angel :( I keep on trying different settings, via Intel control panel and the TV's remote control settings to make it acceptable.. but its noticeable. (note: yes i even bought different hdmi cables that are all original/decent/new, and itried laptop on another screen it worked just fine)

3) No idea how to do those :/ I believe it used to say that I'm using nVidia GeForce GTX 960M but now it's always saying Intel, even if i unplug my second monitor HDMI cable.

4) hmm alright thank you didn't know that ;o

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

The screen simply looks like its either too shiny/white/glow or dark if you look at it from another angle

That's a characteristic of the monitor, as also indicated by the comment below

and i tried laptop on another screen it worked just fine

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 xbabyx

xbabyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

The screen simply looks like its either too shiny/white/glow or dark if you look at it from another angle

That's a characteristic of the monitor, as also indicated by the comment below

and i tried laptop on another screen it worked just fine

well then :/ any suggestions? its a pretty new/decent screen tho :c

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:43 PM

any suggestions?

When something is a characteristic of a particular screen, you have to make the best of it or use a different screen. If it seemed really bad and the monitor was still under warranty, it could be submitted to see if it is out of spec for a warranty repair or exchange. But speaking as a technician who has done warranty repairs on monitors for many years, it's a very difficult specification to judge.

The screen on my Toshiba laptop varies noticeably in the light/darkness of the image just when moving my head a few inches as you would normally do shifting position when working.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/lcd-panel-types-explored/
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users